Never buy an Acer. EVER.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Rob Williams said:
IBM passed the Thinkpad over to some other company, but they are still as solid as ever. That rocks about the promotion ^_^
The company is Lenova(china), and they still make the thinkpad line ($$$). They also are now making a budget laptop line with many of the thinkpad features that looks promising.

I don't think Acer is all bad, but DarkSynergy's experince shows the value of a full service warranty with professional service centers in many cities, and fast turn around if it must be shipped in for repair.
This is where Dell has excelled, with up to 4 year full replacement warranties and a high enough volume for factory authorized service centers eveywhere. But you do pay a high price for it, and it's really needed for a notebook, which combines all the high risks (fragile, mobile (rougher treatment than seating under a desk) high cost, limited parts availablity, and less user servicable)
Laptop generally have a 4-5 fold TCO than a similar powered desktop. Luckily we are starting to see some "ruggidized" models(designed based on military and remote industrial service experience)
one of the new ones from Toshiba has a 3D accelerometer three-axis monitoring system detects free falls in all directions and rapidly moves the HDD head from between the HDD platters in preparation for impact.
even if the laptop doesn't survive the HD and your data might and can be plugged in to a replacement unit to quickly get you going again.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/ebtext.to?page=360_protect

izzie

Obliviot
I owned an Acer CD-Writer that never had a problem. It lasted years. I got no complaints against Acer. Not sure why others don't like them. I always believed they made good products.

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
izzie said:
I owned an Acer CD-Writer that never had a problem. It lasted years. I got no complaints against Acer. Not sure why others don't like them. I always believed they made good products.

My Acer brand laptop died a few weeks after I got it.

tugovony

Obliviot
I just posted a message on another thread about Rosewill. Acer is similiar to Rosewill because they do not manufacturer any of their own parts, they just put their brand name on other company parts. But that is where the similiarity ends, Acer is usually cheaper-quality parts then Rosewill.

Those people who have an Acer product and are happy with it have lucked out. Sometimes Acer puts their brand name on NEC, Samsung, or similiar company products, where those are high quality products.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
There are always people who luck out and get good quality products. Actually, the ratio is is far inthe advantage to the good products. My problem with Acer was not that my notebook died, shit happens, but rather that they would not get back to me in a respectable amount of time. They might have rebadged the notebook, but they were the ones who sold it and that means they are the ones who should make it right when something goes south. And even if they cannot do anything for me to help, at least let me know in a timely manner.....not 2+ weeks.

Worldstar

Obliviot
DarkSynergy said:
My problem with Acer was not that my notebook died, shit happens, but rather that they would not get back to me in a respectable amount of time. They might have rebadged the notebook, but they were the ones who sold it and that means they are the ones who should make it right when something goes south. And even if they cannot do anything for me to help, at least let me know in a timely manner.....not 2+ weeks.

Its best to judge a company when stuff goes wrong instead of only judging a company when stuff goes right. Its how a company behaves when something goes wrong that seperates the good companies from the bad ones.

amatuerfisher

Obliviot
IBM passed the Thinkpad over to some other company, but they are still as solid as ever. That rocks about the promotion ^_^

Lenovo owns the Thinkpad now. The entire PC division of IBM went to lenovo when they decided to sell. I have firsthand experience seeing as how my dad was also sold to the chinese.

The thinkpads are still really great even though it isn't IBM anymore.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Many of our servers are IBMs here at work and because of the Lenovo purchase, we are seriously contemplating migrating over to Dell's when our 18 month cycle is up.

amatuerfisher

Obliviot
Many of our servers are IBMs here at work and because of the Lenovo purchase, we are seriously contemplating migrating over to Dell's when our 18 month cycle is up.

Dell??1!!!??? EWW!!!!!

for the love of god and all that is holy, don't switch to dell. (i might just be biased though :))

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Everyone hates Dell but I have never had a problem with them. Nor have I read anything bad about their server division either. That and Dell is not part owned by Red China. Not that I really have anything wrong with China, but at least here, our quality standards are a bit more controlled.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
lol....

We have an eclectic mix of hardware here. We have mostly IBM servers but we just got in a new Dell server and we also have a couple HP. The only reason we are considering Dell is because we had a meeting with their mid-west business rep yesterday and if we go with them, we are hoping to get some good deals to go along with their good support.