NEVER BUY A ACER LAPTOP ....

acer sucks

Obliviot
Ok i got some advice out there for people that are going to buy a new computer soon, DONT BUY A ACER COMPUTER. im sure you've heard that it sucks, but no one has ever had as much trouble with a acer as i have. i got it ofr last xmas, and in the first 8 months that i've had it i had to send it away 3 times and thisis now the 4 hard drive that is in it, no one knows what casues it, and i've had hundreds of people look at it. No virus's, no spyware, no nothing, the soft ware they use is shit, complete shit. :mad: Now as of the other day its been crashing on me all the time, like it started out as i was playing a game, just a flash game off a website, it came up that my system32 file is corrupt and it shut down on me and wouldn't start back up for a hour, then today i got the blue screen 4 times in a matter of 20 minutes, to my understanding and google's this is not right. :mad:
they maybe cheap computers, but theres a reason for that, cuase you can make a better computer with your friggin lunch box, heres a list out of other problems that i've had with it, dvd drvie went, anti virus crashed the computer, several virus's off the recovery disks.... Heres how acer also ripped us off, on my computer box it specifically said, "recovery disks included", what do you know, no recovery disks in it, and we had to whipe my computer, of course we called in about the disks cause they were supose to come with teh computer, they make us pay $50 bucks to buy a recovery disk off of them, which should be free for us cause it was supose to come with the computer, after i sent my computer away for a few times, they said 5-10 buisness days it'll be back to you, what do you know, a month and a half later i get it back. takes them a month and a half to send something that they told us on the phone would be sent right away, and we had the number of package, called fed ex, and they had no record of the package and they called us like the next day and said that the package had just been shipped. :mad: acer is truly shit, truly garbage, make your own computer, even if you dont know what your at it'll be better than a fuckin acer, have a nice day .... DONT BUY A ACER, THERE SHIT

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha... what a coincidence. Just yesterday I was talking to my aunt who works for a computer shop. She asked me who made good notebooks, and I said, "Pretty much everyone, except Acer". ;)

A few years ago, one of my friend's girlfriend bought an Acer notebook, and literally had to bring it back to the shop a week later because it broke down due to some hardware issue. It was then, that I realized Acer products have some real issues. Ever since that event, I've rarely heard great things about the longevity of their notebooks.

I do wonder about their PC components though... I wonder if they have the same reliability problems as their notebooks?

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I do wonder about their PC components though... I wonder if they have the same reliability problems as their notebooks?

Can't speak about their notebooks... but I've been using Acer monitors for some time without any big problems. My biggest critque there is the same as for all LCD monitors... the lack of sturdy bases... if the table is the least bit wiggly you end up with your monitor bobbing around like crazy as you type... Other than that, no problems at all.

Notebook wise, I gernally recommend Toshiba... they're relatively trouble free and quite well made, far as I can tell. My personal L300D has been going since day 1 without a single issue...

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Notebook wise, I gernally recommend Toshiba... they're relatively trouble free and quite well made, far as I can tell. My personal L300D has been going since day 1 without a single issue...

I can vouch for Toshiba notebooks as well. I've put one through considerable able and it's still holding up. It's a little flimsy in certain areas, but overall has held up well.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
My biggest critque there is the same as for all LCD monitors... the lack of sturdy bases... if the table is the least bit wiggly you end up with your monitor bobbing around like crazy as you type...

I hate that issue... few of my friends have that with their monitors. It might be worse with smaller monitors though. I'm not sure what you have, but my 24" Dell has a very sturdy base, and so does the 30" Gateway.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I hate that issue... few of my friends have that with their monitors. It might be worse with smaller monitors though. I'm not sure what you have, but my 24" Dell has a very sturdy base, and so does the 30" Gateway.

On the media system a 24" ASUS... On the desktop a 19" Acer widescreen.

The ASUS is pretty steady... but that's a headless system, operated entirely by remote control.

The Acer, although very easy on the eyes, is wiggly as all get out when I get typing along with some ambition... Side to side, not so bad... front to back, yikes!

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I can vouch for Toshiba notebooks as well. I've put one through considerable able and it's still holding up. It's a little flimsy in certain areas, but overall has held up well.

I tend to baby my stuff... but the Toshiba does get carted around rather a lot so I can say it's pretty well put together.

The only issue I'm aware of on these machines is the one where over zealous insertion of the power plug can push the in-machine connector back into the casing. It's easy to fix... just put it back in the right spot (nothing breaks) and treat it to a couple of tiny drops of crazy glue. It won't do it again...

moon111

Coastermaker
Having worked (for another company) at an outsourced call-center, someone with problems like your own would be dealt like this. My company is getting paid per call. I have to average less then 20 minutes per call or be fired. Takes 10-15 minutes sometimes just to get a service tag. So you're left with very little time to fix the problem. Now personally I didn't get any training on 50% of the desktops, any of the laptops or docking stations, nor any on printers, or any training on the last five operating systems, or the internal database. However, sometimes I would know how to fix the problem, but it's going to take way too long. So basicly you're going to get the 'punt' either due to time-constraints or lack of knowledge on how to fix the problem. If that notebook can be shipped off faster then actually trying to fix the problem, so be it.
I would only go so far, but I've seen techs tell people to type, "format C: and tell them to call back, rather then replace hardware that's obviously defective because it's quicker. My supervisors got their jobs because they were so computer-illiterate, they really had fast punts. And that, brings profit for call-centers.

I'm not sure about the Acer hardware, but usually the problem is actually people and the system they have to work in that's causing the problem.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I'm not sure about the Acer hardware, but usually the problem is actually people and the system they have to work in that's causing the problem.

Yes indeed most computer problems are people problems...

I've been at this a long time and I can say with high confidence that way more than half of the "service calls" I've done have been fixed by correcting errors made by customers.

Moreover, a significant portion of that "way more than half" are compound problems caused by contact with call-center based support lines.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
2Tired2Tango said:
The Acer, although very easy on the eyes, is wiggly as all get out when I get typing along with some ambition... Side to side, not so bad... front to back, yikes!

Ugh. That sounds like a stressful way to compute (and perhaps even headache inducing to a small degree). I just clued in, though... I installed that same ASUS 24" monitor for one of my friends not too long ago, and it is rather sturdy. Well, not how I installed it. She lacks room, and has a desk that absolutely doesn't support it, so I had to sturdy it by putting things under it to keep it still (it actually hangs off this piece of her desk a bit). It's stable though, so as long as a bus doesn't run into her building, it should be fine.