Networking - seeking solutions

Flipi

Obliviot
Hi

I am setting up a small home network and got into trouble, maybe there is someone out there who knows how to get this one right.

This is my hardware:
Msi K8n Diamond
Amd X2 3800+
1gb Geil ultra x Pc 3200 2-2-2-5 1T
Leadtek Winfast Px6600 Gt Extreme
2 x Wd Ata 100
Asus Dvd-rw

So, I connect to the internet through onboard nvidia lan, using the hardware firewall too. Then I connect an older computer to this one through the second onboard lan Marvell using a crossover cable.
i set everything up and get the strangest thing: the internet connection gets lost if the Marvell lan is enabled, once I disable it there goes my problem....

I tried setting fixed ip for the second computer, also tried dynamic. None works. Marvell lan has fixed ip.

Any ideea?

Buck-O

Coastermaker
DO you have Windows Internet connection shring properly setup?
I know its a silly question, but still.

Also, you may not need to use a X-over cable. ALot of modern NIC's are auto sensing, and will configure the pinouts accordingly at the cards end.

Flipi

Obliviot
Yes. It used to work in the way I described it.
About crossover cable, I don't think that ther is another way of connecting two computer through their lan adapters if not using a hub or a router.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Buck-o is correct, Most, if not all current NIC's automaticailly sense and change to crossover if needed (it's called MDI/MDI-X) and it only has to be available/active on one of the cards for it to work.
It sounds like your comuter sense the marvel as a new internet connection, but then(of course )cannot connect.
It's an error in the way ICS was setup so delete all of the ICS setup and get your actual internet connection running before attempting to re run the ICS wizard.
The other method would be to run a third party proxy (AnalogX has a decent free one http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm)
on the main machine and connect the old computer through the proxy.
The disadvanage is the main computer must be on and able to connect for it to work.
A cheap router/nat box would be the best solution, allowing either or both computers to log on independantly and or simultanously.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
First, reinstall your network set your active internet connection as your nvidia or top network port.
vrawe8.jpg

You need to have the setting "The other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer.
vrav4h.jpg

Then, click the Marvell lan as the way other computers connect to your network.Ignore unactive connections.
vrauq8.jpg

vrbh9u.jpg

If the Marvell and Nvidia are setup in the network as a bridge you need to disable the bridge.

This is the way I've got my PS2 setup, because I broke my router. I've had no problems at all.