Netflix Separates DVD and Streaming Services in the US; Raises Prices

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
During the first half of 2011, Netflix was embroiled in a bit of controversy while at the same time had a lot to brag about. This past April, the company boasted a staggering 3.6 million subscribers gained in Q1, and then last month, the National Association of the Deaf up and sued the company for its lack of subtitles (a fair enough complaint if you ask me). While Netflix could now be riding high on its rapid growth while fixing its current issues, it stands to lose many subscribers with some price changes it's soon putting into place.

netflix_large_hires_logo_042611.png

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This works out great for my wife and I. We have no intention of renting movies so streaming is perfect. Now would be a good time to try the free month to see if my crappy network can handle it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd be interested to see what you think of the selection. I didn't mind it when I had it, but I'm not opposed to loading up a film at random and enjoying it even if most people thought it was dull or boring. It's humorous, though, that Americans complain about the selection of Netflix streaming when the content found in the US is at least 5x greater than what we have in Canada.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I know. I keep saying that if we could get a service here like Hulu I'd drop cable all together. That plus Netflix or even a 2nd movie streaming site would still be half as much as we pay for crappy cable.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I know. I keep saying that if we could get a service here like Hulu I'd drop cable all together. That plus Netflix or even a 2nd movie streaming site would still be half as much as we pay for crappy cable.

The best part? The cheaper option with more selection is on-demand. No comparison on which solution is better. Makes regular cable seem as boring as a newspaper.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'd be interested to see what you think of the selection. I didn't mind it when I had it, but I'm not opposed to loading up a film at random and enjoying it even if most people thought it was dull or boring. It's humorous, though, that Americans complain about the selection of Netflix streaming when the content found in the US is at least 5x greater than what we have in Canada.

I've used it several times, but anyone can go to the Netflix site and browse the streaming catalog from the site. The last time I looked at it the selection IS pitifully small, and doesn't seem to be changing that quickly...

They appear to have since added a few Star Trek seasons... but seriously, they don't even have the first 9 star trek movies available for streaming. Only the latest movie and some of the shows. That should say it all right there. ;)

Yangster

Obliviot
I personally don't use Netflix but I know of a lot of people who do. Just wondering, is there any competitors out there that offer the same or a similar service for a similar price point? Now would be a good time to reduce the prices and steal all of Netflix's customers away :)