Netbooks to Sell 35 Million Units in 2009?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Towards the end of last month, we reported on an industry story that stated that notebooks, for the first time ever, outsold desktop PCs. This occurrence took place during Q3, so chances are good the variances between the two are even more defined for Q4. What's to thank for such stark increases? Netbooks, and lots of them.

While at Intel's Developer Forum in 2007, CEO Paul Otellini made a huge claim that notebooks would outsell desktops by, I believe, 2010. He might have been a bit off, but it's hard to blame him... ASUS' first netbook was introduced just a month or two after the event. I think we pretty-much all know what happened since then.

But just how much growth can we expect to see this year, and in the future? Analysts at ABI Research have some bold claims for 2009, and I'm having a difficult time disagreeing. They believe that near 35 million netbooks will be sold this year, which, going by last year's figures, could be close to 25% of all notebook sales. They go on to state that in 2013, that number will balloon up to 139 million, which would no doubt render most full-sized notebooks as a niche product. I certainly don't want to see the standard notebook get overshadowed by netbooks, but the popularity of the light PCs sure can't be denied. This might be a very interesting year where they are concerned.

asus_n10j_official.jpg

While the advent of low-cost, power stingy x86 and ARM processors were the technical keys to netbooks, Burden argues that industry and consumer expectations also needed to evolve before netbooks would meet market acceptance. “In recent years, the industry still expected the smartphones to be more than they turned out to be, and most recently, MIDs were thought to be the next big mobile devices segment, but an unclear usage model continues to confuse the market. So today, netbooks’ time has come, and ABI research expects them to enjoy very strong market growth.”

Source: ABI Research Press Release

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
For what I use my Notebook for, I would certainly go for a good netbook.
Smaller, longer battery life and ........... what operating system would it have installed?
I presently use a Notebook for work and routing. Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009 is great, you can find multiple addresses, GPS leaves a trail of where you have been and you can add details to each job.
Also I verify internet connectivity and set up secure networks, so it would need a CD/DVD drive.
I think I almost talked myself out of a netbook

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm with you there... the lack of an ODD is a huge drawback for me. To install Linux on the netbook I used during CES, I had to create a bootable flash drive and then extract an ISO to it. It's far easier to just burn a drive image and install via DVD, without question. For me, a netbook would supplement a regular notebook... I don't think I could do without one or the other. At CES, the battery-life was seriously appreciated. Being able to go five hours without a recharge (eh-yo!) was fantastic... one of the greatest feelings I've ever had at a trade show.

At IDF last September, I stupidly had a 17" notebook with me, that barely lasted three hours, so to get a smaller size and add two hours to that was incredible.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I would love to get one but at this point, it would be purely for the novelty of owning one. I would use it at trade shows like CES but other than that, very little. My commutes involve me driving, I have a notebook and a desktop at work and I have a a desktop at home. At no time would I use it enough to justify me paying for one, regardless of how cheap they become. I do think they have their purpose but I don't seem to fit into said purpose at the moment.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm of the same mindset for the most part. I'm able to hold off for a little while, and I'm pleased with that, because I know things are just going to continue getting better and better. Once I finally realize I need one, there should be some great-looking models out.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I guess no one really read your question Merlin, most netbooks have XP installed... because of the lighter resource load.

I expect to see them using windows 7 as soon as it hits the shelves, for the same reason.

I think you will see some serious developments moving away from discs and towards flash drives in the coming year... which will only play into the netbooks role for the future more.

While rob and I have a disagreement over the importance, and necessity of moving towards having touchscreens on virtually everything portable (im for it), I would like to bring up the subject of netTablets. Which are freaking awesome.