Need some new RAM.

leecho7

Partition Master
Ok, I'm about to order some new ram for my system. I'm still running a pair of old school pc 2700s at 1 gig (2x512).
I was looking around and saw that there were pc 3500, pc 4000, pc 5000 and above.
I have an Asus A8n5x mobo, dunno if that makes a difference.
I was thinking of going 2 gigs of pc4000 and above, but am afraid of mobo compatibility. I should be able to run pc 4000 and above fine on my mobo if I adjust the timings or something right?
Or should I just stick with pc 3200?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What CPU do you have again? I would personally buy a 2GB of PC4000. How much do you want to spend? There are many quality memory kits out there for good prices now.

Don't worry about CPU incompatibility.. just don't buy DDR2 ;)

leecho7

Partition Master
I have an AMD 3700 San Diego core. I'm looking to spend no more than $210 for a 2gig set. I'm looking at Newegg.com and I see a couple of sets for under 200, but I don't know if they're any good.

Oh yeah, and getting better ram for my system would definately allow me to overclock my cpu with more stable results right? Cause right now, if I overclock my cpu to 2.6gigs it freezes after like 30 minutes of gameplay. I'm guessing it's cause of the memory.

Last edited: