Need some motherboard + GPU help

Conrad

Obliviot
Well, I purchased my Striker II Formula after reading several shining reviews but while waiting for my case to arrive, I have found some not so shining reviews and have decided to return it.

Currently, I have an nVidia 7800GT (from my old Alienware) which I will have to continue using for the next 2 months regardless of motherboard until I can afford another GPU. Now, I have a very "newbie" question. I would very much prefer to get an Intel chipset mobo, but can't afford an ATi GPU for a while. Can I run my 7800GT on an ATi chipset but just not in SLI?

Sorry for the sheer "newb"ness, I'm quite good with computers but this thought just came up and I started second guessing myself.

Also, can anyone recommend any very good boards, I'd VERY much like to stick with ASUS as I really like them, within the £130 to about £190 range. That's probably around $290 to maybe around $400 range I THINK, but I'm not good with currency. I paid £187 for my current Striker II which must be around $400 I figure.

Also, I would very much like it to have NB Water Cooling as an option as I will have the Armor LCS arriving tomorrow, I want to cool the NB well. I tried to purchase the Maximus Formula (SE) first, but NOWHERE seems to stock it in the UK =/

EDIT: Though, I would sacrifice going with ASUS in order to keep a water cooled NB. I just really like the idea of the ASUS CPU Level-Up! feature.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yes, you can use anyone's GPU in an Intel motherboard. You just can't use SLI. The 7800GT will perform the same in any modern chipset motherboard, so no worries there either. :)

I wish I've had the chance to play with an ASUS, but as of yet I'm leery of spending my own money on anything beyond Gigabyte simply because of the ease of overclocking I've gotten to date. Perhaps with Nehalem I'll go ASUS for a change...

Honestly the motherboard is one thing that doesn't really see much of an improvement beyond $200, in fact $175 is a good range where the top-end P35 chipset boards are currently around.

Since you are shopping for the best of the best though, forget the ASUS Maximus. If spending that much you might as well get an X48 chipset, which means the ASUS "Rampage Formula". The "Rampage Extreme" is the version with the built in waterblock.