Need help choosing 5.1 speakers

scorpion913

Obliviot
Hi all,

I am planning to buy 5.1 speakers for my laptop/xbox360...mainly for my xbox360..

I am very confused as to which one should i buy from below mentioned speakers..

Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System -- $250

Logitech G51 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers ----$130

Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System --$60

$250 is slightly on higher side but i dont mind spending if its value for money...

can any one please help me as to which one should i go for??

Thanks...

ikjadoon

Obliviot
I own the Z-5500's and they are beastly. Meaning they are huge and put out a considerable amount of power. I cannot put the volume up more than half-way for anything, really. It just gets too loud for my small room.

From my extensive research, these are the best 5.1 speakers available (for computers), minus some of the ultra-pricey Klpisch speakers. The Z-5500's are the only THX-certified speakers that are under $500, very few speakers get this rating. For computer speakers, anyway.

Amazon had a sale a few months ago for a refurbished set for only $150(!).That sale has definitely ended, but there are some bargains around for this set.

How big is your room? How important is the sound? I've heard good stuff about the G-51 speakers, as well. I can't really compare, however.

~Ibrahim~

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System --$60 thats all you need
unless this is a spam operation of one person

scorpion913

Obliviot
Thanks guys for ur prompt reply...

my room is not that big...its 13x13...

currently i have Creative Inspire T3000 3-Piece Powered Speaker System and i am pretty content with them...they are pretty old and hence i am thinking to replace them...

x-540 was selling for $57 till yesterday on amazon...now its $71... :):)still not that bad....

i am more inclined for Z-5500 which is currently selling for $195 +tax (after rebates) on buy.com and $235 (no tax) on amazon...

I think i will need to buy Xbox Advanced AV Pack or Xbox High Definition AV Pack for these speakers....

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
From what I see you would need both the Xbox AV Pack and a optical audio cable. The z-5500 is even noted as supporting the Xbox, so ya should be good there.

I own the Z-5300 speakers, very nice but they don't offer digital connectors unlike the z-5500. $183 is a pretty decent price on them, doubt you'd find better. ;)

ikjadoon

Obliviot
I picked up a dirt-cheap optical cable for a few bucks over at monoprice.com, if you're looking. Blasted MS, always taking money for things that should already be there. I'm about to shell out a good amount of money for a wireless adapter for my brother's 360.

~Ibrahim~

scorpion913

Obliviot
Thanks for all your inputs...i think i will finally go with z-5500..i think it will be good value for money since G51 costs 130, mind as well spend few more and get Z-5500 for $185.

Also, i have one more question..i am not sure if this is the right forum..please feel free to guide me to the right one..

I bought xbox360 and samsung 2253BW 22' lcd monitor..and will buy Z-5500...

Samsung 2253BW do have following ---- http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-225...-dc-1680-x-1050-2-ms/q/loc/101/206900407.html

Signal Input
Video Signal: analog RGB, DVI
Sync. Signal: separate H/V, composite, SOG
Connector: 15 pin D-SUB, DVI-D

what cables do i need to buy to hook up all three?

VGA HD AV Cable
Component HD AV Cable
Xbox Advanced AV Pack
GameLink 400 X Component Video with Analog Audio - Xbox 360 ---http://shop3.frys.com/product/4672378?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Which one do i need here and is there any site/store where i can get it cheap??

Thanks...

ikjadoon

Obliviot
Monoprice has the cheapest cables from any site I've ever seen and excellent quality. They're so good, I'm not exactly sure how they operate at a profit, lol.

Apparently, the XBOX VGA HD AV cable is all you need for the XBOX itself. It has VGA (which you can directly plug in or use a DVI->VGA adapter). It also has a Toslink connector, which you'll need one of these to plug from the VGA HD AV cable to the Z-5500's. Just pick from the first list, NOT the mini-Toslink ones.

~Ibrahim~

ikjadoon

Obliviot
I'll be honest, I've been thinking some more about it. I'm not exactly sure if the Z-5500's would be the *best* option for a laptop and a XBOX 360; these speakers are nearly home theater replacements. Ugh, I almost wish there was a way you could compare them before you could buy...

~Ibrahim~

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ugh, I almost wish there was a way you could compare them before you could buy...

That would be amazing, haha. I wish I could give a recommendation, but I'm only a wannabe audiophile and know nothing... except that good sound is better than not-so-good sound ;-)