Need heatsink recommendation for DX58SO + Tall RAM

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
Hi, I have an Intel DX58SO and Patriot Viper Extreme and I have been looking for heatsinks other than stock and water cooling that will fit on this setup. The Patriot heatsinks are tall (they are exactly the same height as the stock Intel heatsink minus the fan on top) and so far, definitely all Thermalright options and Zalman CNPS series block the 3rd ram slot (the 4th ram slot is directly above the CPU is not going to be used). The closest is the Noctua NH-12P SE2 but I have to use something else to mount the fans on the RAM side with something else or it will block the 3rd slot, and even then, its touching/pushing the Patriot ram.

Any suggestions? (other than getting a different motherboard or getting different RAM or getting water cooling)

2rhocj9.jpg

Thanks in advance.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Hi, I have an Intel DX58SO and Patriot Viper Extreme and I have been looking for heatsinks other than stock and water cooling that will fit on this setup.

I suppose my big question is why not use the stock cooler? For most all but the most extreme overclocking, they generally work just fine.... The odds are the board was designed around the dimensions of stock coolers for the various CPUs supported by that board.

If you are concerned about heat, quite often you will get a bigger bang for your buck from using better quality thermal compounds than you will from using a bigger heat sink. I recently re-did a friend's stock heatsink with Thermstrate (the subject of great debate in another thread) and knocked nearly 8 degrees off the idle temperature, using the stock heatsink.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
I actually reseated it with TX-3 since on my initial setup I couldn't get through OCCT without stopping after 6 seconds because it reached the thermal limit. My idle right now with stock cooler and stock settings is at 47°C, Prime95 max temp was 82°C,

I want to bump this to at least a 4.0. I know its an odd design, but there must be some aftermarket heatsinks that will clear that space and be better than the stock one.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You should be able to find a heatsink that is tall enough to sit above the RAM, either a tall tower or a top-down facing heatsink. Some of Zalman's CNPS blocks are fairly small, if the 9500 still blocks the third RAM slot then your options are definitely highly limited.

Something like the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro would not block your RAM slots, but the performance is only moderate for the price. Still it will cool much better than the stock Intel heatsink, I use an older revision model to cool my Q6600 which I run at 3.2GHz.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Well... there's always the hacksaw method... cut the required clearance out of a big heatsink... No Joke I've seen it done. It's ugly but it works.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
How about a 90 degree setup with only 1 fan pushing on the bottom upwards toward the ram? (I must admit the RAM will still block the some of the air but that's better than nothing) The IOH cooler might get blocked on the right but I could just replace that with an aftermarket fan anyway since the one Intel provides is the loudest thing on my system, probably an antec spot cool.

EDIT:
YES!!!! NH-U12P will fit sideways and completely clear the ram slots if I don't use the top pull fan and just use a push fan on the bottom!

25f2ao0.jpg

Last edited: