Need Advice on GPU Purchase

Hello TechGage, I am about to order either a Nvidia 8800gt SC or a 8800gts 512mb If you could choose, wich one you would get and why. or would you get any of them? would you wait until febuary to see if the 9 series launches? Will one of these last longer than 1 years you suppose when it comes to graphic tech? I really don't want to purchase one of these then have to upgrade again in 1 year.

Thanks people at Tgage =)

Last edited:
As you can probably see in my sig, I have a 7600gt that I have hella oc'ed lol. Probably a little to high but yeah it's time for an upgrade.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I must've missed your other posts.. welcome to the forums! This is a tough one. If money doesn't matter that much, I'd opt for the 8800GTS 512. However, if you are not that concerned with paying a fair amount extra for somewhat small increases, I'd stick with the 8800GT.

I would not wait for the 9-series at this point... that's still another two months away. If you can hold off, then great, but NVIDIA normally launches a very high-end part first, then its siblings later. That puts both the 8800GT and GTS 512 in a different price bracket.

Personally, I'd pick up an 8800GTS 512 if I wanted the best performance without going all out on a GTX. This choice is made easier if the price is not going to be that much more than an 8800GT.

Thanks for the reply rob :)

I just ordered the 8800gts 512 I thought about what you said about the 9 series and your right, besides I could always use the step-up program from EVGA if they do happen to launch late Feb. Thanks for the input.:D

You can apparently OC this things Core Clock up to 750 running stable ;)