Need a cheap Power Supply.

leecho7

Partition Master
I recently upgraded my graphics card from a 9800pro to a 6600GT. My current 500w Antec TruePower psu isn't giving this badboy enough juice. I can run normal apps fine, but when it comes to gaming... it's like trying to find a catholic priest in Mardi Gras.
Any suggestions on what type of psu to get? I was thinking of getting a 520w but afraid it might not be enough.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Trust me, 500W is plenty of power. You would need no more than 350W, so if there is a power problem, it's your particular PSU.

I am using a 400W, and it's more than enough power for everything in the sig.

leecho7

Partition Master
Ha! Nevermind... I'm such a dumbarse. I forgot to plug in the power connector to the gpu. Man I'm so smart!

Last edited:

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
lol...I was about to explain to you what I had to explain to my friend that I gifted my old 6600GT to recently. His VGA died almost instantly when he tried to play games...yup, it was a kicker! :D People who had older VGAs or even some of the recent ATIs seem to encounter this (to me) comical episode that would have frustrated or scared to death many a DIY PC builders!

Blumen

Coastermaker
I did that once on my 5900se.... even managed to limp through Aquamark3 once with it like that, where i was promptly surprised to see it scoring exactly on par with the 5200 it replaced....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Almost as bad as me forgetting to plug the fan back into Words 6600GT, then wondering why the card was getting so hot so fast.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
AW man.... that was a funny read!
;)

Been there... done that... good to know others have too!
Appears it is a pretty well traveled path!
:D