NEC MultiSync 1740CX 17" LCD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you looking for a modestly sized LCD monitor, that rolls in at a good price and really delivers the picture quality you want? We are taking a look at a 17" monitor from NEC that offers quite a bit in a relatively small package.

Discuss the review here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can't speak for that exact monitor, but I have used the Samsung SyncMaster 730B [I could be wrong, but it's similar] and found that my NEC had better picture. Games look pretty good on that one, but even the Windows desktop looks that impressive. One thing I find about some LCD's is that the picture quality is just not crisp and sharp like a CRT, however the one I am using is.

Hopefully someone else here has experience with that exact model.

[Edit: Maybe it would help to answer your full question. If you are missing DVI you will not be hurting that badly. I am hard pressed to notice a difference myself. If you have a good 8ms or lower LCD, you should be fine either way.]

Last edited:

Shadow_1

Obliviot
Yeah, that's what I thought. Have just been so used to Samsung screens that I hadn't really checked out any of the others. Thanks for the info.

tomato

Obliviot
I have the NEC 1715 17" LCD and I LOVE it! I would have no trouble recommending an NEC monitor to anyone, you won't regret it ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree. This is the first NEC monitor I have ever owned, and I am plain out loving it.