N-Gage.. making a comeback?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The new Nokia N-Gage is now a gaming network that will only be available to Nokia phone owners. They will simply subscribe to the N-Gage service and download games that are available exclusively through it. This fits well into Nokia's new strategy; when they announced the death of the original N-Gage, they stated that the company would focus instead on gaming for all of their cell phones, not just one or two.

http://www.gamesfirst.com/?id=1346

So, instead of a single cell-phone that can run game, all Nokia phones, well at least ones with GPU's, will be able to play games. What's interesting though, is that Nokia provides a tool for indie developers also, in hopes that there will be a lot more support for the service.

It will be interesting to see if the new N-Gage service will die like the previous product. Personally, I hate gaming on Cell phones, but there's apparently a huge market for it somewhere...

leecho7

Partition Master
I remember when I used to work at Gamestop, Nokia paid the company about 12 million dollars a year to have their merchandise in our stores. We had the merchandise in our stores for about 2 years I believe, but out of those 2 years... we sold 0 nGages/games for the ngage/ and accesories.

I have to admit though, Ngage looks a whole lot better than the Gizmondo.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
0? Hot damn. I have one.. and a few games. Then it got scratched one time during a rush at the airport.. and I never touched it since.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
A guy on the my team had one once... He LOVED the thing, but admitted that there just wasnt enough to it. :(

Maybe this is a step in the right direction? Iunno. I know I like playing tetris occasionally when im bored and waiting someplace.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I liked mine, but there were some obvious issues. I just don't really like SMALL screens like that.. it was literally a cell phone screen.

The system had THPS 1 though, so that made me happy.

Kilamon

E.M.I.
I got a QD in january. I use an MP3 player from lonely cat so I can listen to music in my helmet (a motorola bluetooth unit that works for helmets) while on my motorcycle. :D Works so I can be on the road and talking too, though at speeds above 55 the wind noise tends to drown out.