My old PC PSU makes an odd buzzing noise

GFreeman

Coastermaker
When my old PC that I use at home is turned off the PSU makes an odd buzzing noise. I fear that this PSU has had it's best years lol. But it still works fine and reports the right voltages just this annoying buzzing noise when the PC is turned off. Have you guys ever experienced anything like it?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Yeah, matching the mains frequency. It kept doing it for a while then one day stopped. Then about a week after it stopped, turned it on one day and all it did was make an ever increasing high pitch whine that went inaudible, no power or anything, just increased in pitch, until 3 of the capacitors decided to blow up and scare the shit out of me.

Typically, if you can hear the mains sound buzz, there's poor grounding. So you either have a loose connection (internal or external), or some of the internals are on their way out. If you feel confident about opening up the PSU if it's outside of warranty and having a poke around for any burn patches, domed capacitors or a loose cable, you might be able to see if there's a problem. Otherwise send it back or get a new one, not much else you can do. Also check the powerstrip, if it's a surge protector, that might be on it's way out as well.

GFreeman

Coastermaker
Thanks awfully.. I think it's due to grounding issues, I will have a look at that. Yea it's like a pitch noise with sometimes becomes higher. Very spooky lol :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If the PSU buzzed the entire time the unit was powered on, that'd be a major problem, but just during powering it off, it's probably nothing major. Might want to check the grounding, but even if that's not the problem, it could be something minor with one of the coils. I had similar issues with PSUs before and was told not to worry about it.