My first overclock!

leecho7

Partition Master
Well I finally gave in and decided to overclock for the first time in my life.
I got my replacement graphics card and it works great. I was able to overclock it.
Stock core clock was at 350, I OC'd it to 478
Stock mem clock was at 1000, I OC'd it to 1250.
So far so good. No artifacting in Oblivion as of yet but I only played it for about 20 minutes and my temps havn't reached past 51c with stock cooling. At Idle my temps run at about 40c.

leecho7

Partition Master
Im using a XfX Geforce 6800 Xtreme. After leaving my computer on for a while now, my Idle temps are at 50c and after 30 minutes of Oblivion it reaches 58c.
It does get warm in my dinky little apartment, since our AC system is crap.
But I remember my ATI 9800 Pro running at 55c Idle and reaching up to 64c at load.

werty316

Partition Master
Have you tried to unlock the extra pipes and vertex shaders? I had a BFG 6800OC and was able to unlock them.

Blumen

Coastermaker
Download the newest version of RivaTuner, if you haven't already got it.

Open it up, and where you see Something like "256-bit NV40 (A1, 12x1x1,5vp)" with whatever memory you have, click that little tab to the right of it. The first tab on the left of the resulting window is what you want. "Low Level System Settings."

Go to the "NVStrap Driver" tab. There should be a button near the bottom that says "Install." Do that, then check the little box that says "Allow enabling hardware masked units." Click the "Customize" button to the right of that. Click and check the Pixel Unit, and the Vertex Unit, that says "yes" to HW Masked on the right side of that window. A check mark should appear next to them. Hit OK.

Make sure that the pull down tab in the Graphics Processor Configuration section says "Custom (16x1,6vp)."

Hit Apply, then Ok, then you'll be prompted to restart. If it successfully unlocks with no artifacts, enjoy your enhanced gaming and benchmarking. You'll get much higher minimum FPS, and you'll probably be able to bump up your image settings a bit.

Beware: If you're on the edge of your power supply's capabilities before the mod, it may very well go over, although not likely. The extra hardware enabled will take up more power, and make cause your card to run marginally hotter.

If you need/want pictures, just say so, and i'll see if i can dig up some for you, but i think i explained it fairly well here. :) Good luck.

leecho7

Partition Master
Ok I did exactly what you told me to do, but the pull down tab only reads as
12x1,5vp. Before I did that however, it was at 8x.
So, I'm guessin my card only had 8 pipelines to start with? I'm gonna experiment with it some more after work tonight and see if I missed something.

leecho7

Partition Master
I guess I can't unlock the other pipes. In the HW Masked column, there is no 'yes' but a bunch of N/A. Oh well, the card runs great for the price I paid for it. It should suit me well until I save up for a 7900GT or GTX.

liqnit

E.M.I.
leecho7 said:
Well I finally gave in and decided to overclock for the first time in my life.
I got my replacement graphics card and it works great. I was able to overclock it.
Stock core clock was at 350, I OC'd it to 478
Stock mem clock was at 1000, I OC'd it to 1250.
So far so good. No artifacting in Oblivion as of yet but I only played it for about 20 minutes and my temps havn't reached past 51c with stock cooling. At Idle my temps run at about 40c.
Great OC
now it is at speed of ultra HighEnd card
have fun with it just keep an eye for the Temps & Fan speed

leecho7

Partition Master
Ok, after turning on the comp today, I started to hear a weird grinding noise. I opened up the case and listened carefully. It turns out to be my graphics card fan. I unplugged it and turned it on, and I didn't hear the noise. When I plugged it back in, the noise started again. When I dropped the card back to its default core settings, the noise stopped.

Guess it was too good to be true. But oh well, that just means I have to save up for a more awesome card.

Or maybe getting a better fan for my card would help remedy the situation?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
You can find a decent vga cooler for your card between 20 and 30 smackers. An Arctic Cooler 5 on Ebay is about 30ish. There's some others used, up for bid. The Zalman vga coolers on Newegg are about that much. A little more for the newer models. I'd definitely look into another cooler if you want that oc.

leecho7

Partition Master
Right now I have it clocked at 450/1240. See how long that lasts. In the mean time I'm gonna look into some coolers.