Most Expensive Piece of Hardware You Own?

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
most expensive thing I have purchased was likely my (at the time of purchase) Sony Trinitron 19" monitor. it was $500+ when I bought it...

madmat

Soup Nazi
My most expensive piece of hardware was my 6800NU at $325 with my mobo being a close second at $300. The ram I bought for this rig to begin with was $320 and talk about crap! Ugh it was terrible. Actually I've got $550 in my vid card since I got it in exchange for my 5900U that I bought a few days after it first came out and it went south on me. I sent it back to newegg and all those asshats gave me for it was $325 after prorating it to what the value on a new one was.

Before anyone starts harping on me about not sending it to the mfr. for RMA I tried. I emailed ASUS (The mfr.) about needing an RMA number and I STILL have yet to get a reply to that email. That was almost 2 years ago. So yeah after close to a month of unanswered emails I gave the hell up and returned it to newegg.

adabo24

Obliviot
Tech-Daddy said:
most expensive thing I have purchased was likely my (at the time of purchase) Sony Trinitron 19" monitor. it was $500+ when I bought it...

Never buy Sony products. You paying for the name, and most of the time Sony doesn't even manufacturer it's own products anymore.

Get a Samsung. They produce CRT and LCD monitors of equal quality to Sony.

madmat

Soup Nazi
adabo24 said:
Never buy Sony products. You paying for the name, and most of the time Sony doesn't even manufacturer it's own products anymore.

Get a Samsung. They produce CRT and LCD monitors of equal quality to Sony.

I hate to tell you this but Sony is the only company that made Trinitron tubes. You could buy another brand of monitor with a Trinitron tube but you know what? Sony made it.

Last edited:

adabo24

Obliviot
madmat said:
I hate to tell you this but Sony is the only company that made Trinitron tubes. You could buy another brand of monitor with a Trinitron tube but you know what? Sony made it.

I said quote "most of the time", and I stand by my words. Most of the time Sony does not make their own products.

madmat

Soup Nazi
adabo24 said:
I said quote "most of the time", and I stand by my words. Most of the time Sony does not make their own products.

Well, since he was talking about monitors and at the time he bought his monitor Sony still offered the only shadowmask monitor tubes in the business. The Trinitron monitors are the best CRT monitors made. You can buy other flat screen CRTs but they'll look like crap compared to a Trinitron.

Last edited:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
madmat said:
Well, since he was talking about monitors and at the time he bought his monitor Sony still offered the only shadowmask monitor tubes in the business. The Trinitron monitors are the best CRT monitors made. You can buy other flat screen CRTs but they'll look like crap compared to a Trinitron.

Amen to that...

Was good for the several years I used it. Colors finally gave up the ghost, and the mask broke loos inside the tube, causing the image to curl on the bottom of the screen....

but while it worked, it was the best. When it died, I adopted a 21" Nokia monitor.. OMG!! That thing was a B-E-A-S-T!!!! Component color inputs on the back, excellent perrformance. Was just too big! Sold it off, and then got me my LCD.

Yummy, never looked back.

And before anyone calls "BS" on my component choice for "cost", my FX processors were well timed gifts. Had I purchased them, I likely would not be alive. That kind of $ on a processor is CRAZY!!

But the performance is niiiiiice! ;)
:D :D :D

leecho7

Partition Master
At the moment, with my rig now, the most expensive piece of equipment I have is my... well to be honest... I have no clue. I guess it would be my Sony LCD monitor that I got at a computer show for 260ish bucks because the dude said it had 12 dead pixles, which I cannot see no matter how hard i try.

skyrise

Obliviot
I forgot about my laser printer when I responded the first time. My most expensive computer investment at a cost of around $250. My CPU was my 2nd highest price item and it was $200.

Last edited:

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Most expensive part of my computer?
SOFTWARE! MS office2000 premium was over $800 when new (fortunately I didn't pay for it, MS gave it to me as part of an evaluation group) I now have office 2006 small business on the way a $659 value (also free from MS)
I can't begin to say how much software has cost over the years, but it far exceeds my hardware costs

chillout

Obliviot
T-Shirt said:
Most expensive part of my computer?
SOFTWARE! MS office2000 premium was over $800 when new (fortunately I didn't pay for it, MS gave it to me as part of an evaluation group) I now have office 2006 small business on the way a $659 value (also free from MS)
I can't begin to say how much software has cost over the years, but it far exceeds my hardware costs

The title of the thread is most expensive piece of <b>hardware</b>.

zachig

Obliviot
Hehehe...I totally forgot that my X2 3800+ actually worth more :D :rolleyes:

I also got my XFX 6800GS but it's not that pricey now, as after the 7900GT, 7900GTX and 7600GT have been released, its price went down drastically. :(

Hm........for me, that would have to be either one of my M-Audio Octane mic preamps. $750 each. If you figure both of those, and the FireWire 1814 needed for them to plug into.........$2100 total.