Montreal student gets expelled after finding a coding flaw

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is just unbelievable. A Dawson College student got expelled after discovering a hole in the school's software that would have allowed anyone easy access to information on other students. I mean... wow.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...ed-security-of-250000-students-personal-data/

Ahmed Al-Khabaz, a 20-year-old computer science student at Dawson and a member of the school’s software development club, was working on a mobile app to allow students easier access to their college account when he and a colleague discovered what he describes as “sloppy coding” in the widely used Omnivox software which would allow “anyone with a basic knowledge of computers to gain access to the personal information of any student in the system, including social insurance number, home address and phone number, class schedule, basically all the information the college has on a student.”

And thus expelled and told to never talk about it. Is this the kind of publicity you wanted, Dawson?

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Wasn't there a time Adobe asked people to look for ways to crack their encryption and then when someone came up with something they arrested him?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't remember hearing about that, but based on that info, I'd have to say it seems a bit fishy.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Sorry, it wasn't Adobe. Professor Edward Felten and his research team at Princeton University responded to Secure Digital Music Initiative's public challenge, which encouraged the public to attempt to break digital watermarkng schemes. Before they could publish the paper, they were threatened by both SDMI and the RIAA.