Monitor lost it's signal.

leecho7

Partition Master
Ok just got my graphics card in today, hooked everything up and plugged everything in and turned on my machine. Everything is running smoothly, except my monitor is not responding. The fan on the card is running, and everything is connected. The card does come with 2 DVI ports and no analog, but it came with a DVI to Analog adapter.
I tried reinstalling the card, and hooking the monitor up on both ports to no avail. The monitor is fine, but it's not recieving a signal.
Am I supposed to do something else here? I plugged the 4pin connector to the card to give it power, is there like some sort of switch or something?
I have a XFX Geforce 6800 Xtreme.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
What graphics card did you have before?
Did you set windows to VGA and COMPLETELY remove the old drivers, before switching to the new card?
Does the monitor ever recieve ANY signal, during the boot process? and then fail in windows?

There maybe bios or other setup options you need to change before installing the card. It's possible that the signal is outside the range the monitor will accept, or that the cable, DVI>VGA adaptor, or card is bad.
do you have access to another monitor or computer to test it with?

Last edited:

leecho7

Partition Master
It's just not recieving any signal at all when I boot. I tried the same monitor and adapter on my friends machine and it works. I'm guessing my graphics card is not working properly.

I can't get into windows because all I see is a black screen. My monitor does not respond at all.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Can you bring another monitor in to check? or take your computer to someone elses computer/monitor? other than making sure it is set to see this as the boot video (you'll need to reinstall your old card) making sure the card is fully seated, and the cables tightly attached, an RMA is probably the next choice.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
If it's a bad dvi connector you could try swapping if you have 2. Trying multiple monitors (if that's an option) would be the next step. Swapping out the card for your old card would eliminate the slot as being bad. Although, it does sound like there's something wrong with the card itself. I'd just make sure all the cables are tight and it's in the slot properly. Other than that I can't see where there would be any problem.

Sorry to hear it's not working, but I hope you can get it back quickly!

leecho7

Partition Master
It's not the adaptor, I read up on some stuff on the internet and heard that it's most likely the graphics card, mobo, or processor that causes this type of problem. So I'm gonna try RMAing my graphics card first, then my mobo and see what happens.

leecho7

Partition Master
Ok I took my machine to a friends place and tested my card on his mobo. Same problem. He let me try his 7900GT and it worked perfectly. So it was the graphics card. I'm RMA'ing it. BUt damn... I want a 7900GT now...