Modding the House

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Are you sure that's not 720p? I've never heard of 720i before, and though it's possible to exist, I can't see it being used anywhere. 720p would actually probably look better than 1080i.

As for those huge AVI files, can't you somehow lower the resolution a little bit, or no? Filling half a hard drive just seems odd, because if you go away on vacation, you are not going to have enough room to hold it, unless you have a huge RAID or something.

I assume you are using a high resolution... you might want to play around with it a little bit.
Yuppers....a typo

720P

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Synology DS702 on it's way and also a Hitachi drive
The more I read about this NAS the more I like it.
You can set up your own server, FTP sight and a lot more.
I think it uses a linux OS for the network setup...sounds great :)

Seems I got the last 1tb hitachi, they are all out now.
I was going to get another for the two bay server in two weeks.....maybe they will restock by then

It must be a popular drive.
Same thing happened when I got the E8400 Core Duo

badz

Obliviot
Got the other system up and running...now to put it to use.
I'm setting up the house to be monitored from anywhere via laptop and internet. And when I get home, the lights turn on, the music turns on.....
And maybe a cyber female voice to bow at my feet for my return....lol
Anyway, not that I need the security around here, just another toy to set up.
Most camera systems can be set up for around 280.00 to 300.00 with two to three cameras and they are night vision. The prices have come down to a point where anyone can use them.
Front door, back door and driveway should do it.

If anyone has a setup like this, what software do you use?

you can have alarms on your garage like what we see on movies but according to some friends, you should use security alarm systems used in agencies like CIA. whooooo.. can you imagine that?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Looks like a cool set up you've got going there man.

Might I make a suggestion?

Some place int he house you might want to have these videos connected to a drive that is in a fire box bolted to the ground or a concrete wall.

If you do get broken into then they cannot steal what the videos are stored on ;)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I can get a text message from the server saying that there is motion, sometimes its someone I know and I call their cell and ask them what they are doing, for fun.

Never in 20 something years has there been any problem in this area, I just wanted to set a system up for fun.
And I learned a lot from it

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Looks like a cool set up you've got going there man.

Might I make a suggestion?

Some place int he house you might want to have these videos connected to a drive that is in a fire box bolted to the ground or a concrete wall.

If you do get broken into then they cannot steal what the videos are stored on ;)
Or....at certain times of the day, upload the video files that have been recorded.
I have it set to record in avi files lasting 20 minutes each.

Merlin