Modding the House

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Got the other system up and running...now to put it to use.
I'm setting up the house to be monitored from anywhere via laptop and internet. And when I get home, the lights turn on, the music turns on.....
And maybe a cyber female voice to bow at my feet for my return....lol
Anyway, not that I need the security around here, just another toy to set up.
Most camera systems can be set up for around 280.00 to 300.00 with two to three cameras and they are night vision. The prices have come down to a point where anyone can use them.
Front door, back door and driveway should do it.

If anyone has a setup like this, what software do you use?

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If you are going that far, might want to add another one inside the two larger main rooms?

I've seen (and personally had, when I was growing up) a house broken into that had an alarm system on the garage and both front/back doors. They came in from a window instead, and took their sweet time without ever tripping the alarm.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is a fantastic project, Merlin! I wish I had a house to have to worry about a project like this... it would be fun (and of course, smart as well).

Personally, I would love to know if a system like this exists for cars. Since cars are so tempting to be broken into, having some sort of video capture device would be ideal in seeing who the culprit is. It would be even cooler if it could automatically upload the video to your house, so that even if the car itself is stolen, the video remains as evidence.

Not to go off-topic or anything...

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I don't know about cars, but it IS a good idea.......
Looks like, so far, I need to set up a FTP server so I can connect to my files while away, from anywhere that I have internet connection. So, say if, I was on vacation I could check back over recorded filesm delete if not needed and then save.
The NAS solution sounds like the way to go. And the computer as a server.
Now mind you, I have not had any problems here in 20 years, it's just a new project to expand my networking skills.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I might have to put this off for a while....
Family needs some help
Little brother had three hheart attacks and cant keep a job now.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Family needs some help

Sorry to hear of your family's problems Merlin... hopefully things will start to improve for you & y'all.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Family needs some help

Holy shit, talk about unfortunate. Take care of your family. Projects can wait.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow Merlin, I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. Hope his health improves soon (with some well-deserved relaxation).

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Wow Merlin, I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. Hope his health improves soon (with some well-deserved relaxation).
Thanks, ALL
Trying to get him to work at WallMart, not many jobs in Fla.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Merlin, sorry to hear about the health issues.

That is tough, and the others are right, family takes presidence over this stuff...

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and be safe.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Little bro is fine, got another job and he got 2.6K back in taxes

More than me...lol
So, I'm looking for cameras, now.

BlackAndy

Obliviot
Does anyone do security camera reviews?
I "heard" that TrenDNet has some pretty sweet wireless cameras that might be coming soon to a review site near you....:)
I have wanted to have cameras on my house ever since I worked in asset protection/loss prevention for Kmart Corporation. We would watch people from all walks of life steal just because they thought they could get away with it... they were wrong.:cool:
I would like a four camera system:
1. Driveway/garage
2. Front door
3. Back door/yard
4. Office/room with the safe
-Andy

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Rest your sweet little hearts... IP camera reviews will be coming shortly. I have a pair of TRENDnet cams on the bench :)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I got a wireless system today...the Astrak CM-818T3 system.
Color camera, night vision with LED and also sound.

http://www.astak.com/CM-818T3.htm

6 Security Stickers
You can use a 9 volt battery or a transformer with 10 feet of wire.
I set up the three as, Front door, Back Door and then a veiw of my driveway .
just hooked up to plasma right now in a 3 camera loop.
Capture card ordered
And thats a dam nice card for the price.....20 times better than my ATI card....and can be used on the Vista Ultimate 64 bit machine.

http://www.cyberestore.com/dvico-fusionhdtv7-cool-atscntscqam-tuner-free-shipping-p-772.html

For such a small camera, the images are sweet, being 380 lines of resolution on a 1080I monitor ( temp )
I still have some other things to set up and get that adapter.
But, it's looking good so far.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Got the server set up today...using ServU FTP server
http://www.serv-u.com/
Now I'm waiting on the TV card to connect the security router.

I set up a FTP server years ago and it was so simple, nowadays you have all the security setting such as 4096 bit security key.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Got the FussionCool7 card Tuesday
And set it up on the X64 Vista machine.
It really doesnt say to load drivers first then card or vise versa.
Tried both and still no image or even recognition. the drivers I see in Devices.
I really tried several combinations to get it to work.
I'm thinking it's the PCI slot....tried another device in same slot and nadda...its the slot.
So...installed on x86 Vista and all working fine.
I got the card for security cameras and digital TV.
What I didnt expect was I can get HBO and SHowtime in High Definition.
This has the Samsung chip, I had seen some TV's in customers home that could get most of these channels.....This is an xtra.
Also, found out some channels broadcasting HD is only 720I, not 1080I.
The decryption pane tells what the signal is and decryption type.

Sweeeet little card, just wish I could have used it on the 64 bit machine.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The Drivers for the HD card are not ready for 64 bit, so I installed on the 32 bit machine.
i have been recording a while now and there are two types of files to save, wmv and avi. they can get big for 24 hrs, I use the 500 gig drive and it takes about 264 gigs for 24 hrs of recording.
The streaming home server is not set up as yet. I have a dynamic IP service but it rarely changes, the ideal IP would be static, though.
It would only ( maybe ) change if I reboot the modem.
It IS interesting to see what happens during the day while at work, when I get home and review the recording. I just fast forward.
It's a different project that I'm enjoying.
At first I had thought it was the PCI slot, but working with DViCO tech, it seems to be the 64 bit drivers. Coming soon.
I have over a tera bite in the other machine for recording, so I'll wait for the update and then move the card over.
As for the PCI tuner card for TV, this is a great card for the price, a good investment I believe.
So anyone looking for a tuner card would like this one ( FusionCool7 ) for 89.00 buckeetos, Now 79.99

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Also, found out some channels broadcasting HD is only 720I, not 1080I.

Are you sure that's not 720p? I've never heard of 720i before, and though it's possible to exist, I can't see it being used anywhere. 720p would actually probably look better than 1080i.

As for those huge AVI files, can't you somehow lower the resolution a little bit, or no? Filling half a hard drive just seems odd, because if you go away on vacation, you are not going to have enough room to hold it, unless you have a huge RAID or something.

I assume you are using a high resolution... you might want to play around with it a little bit.