Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Your notebook is wireless, so why not have a wireless mouse? We are taking a look at Microsofts latest solution, which promises to offer a comfortable, and precise experience. Does it deliver?

After reading our review here, discuss it here!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
The generic hid complient driver should have been enough to control the mouse. The Intellipoint software is all the extra. Still, something should have been included for drivers; not everyone has internet capability. Not a bad looking mouse, and great to hear that gaming wasn't too bad either. I know more than one person who would love a good notebook mouse.

U

Unregistered

Works just like Microsoft's software - NOT!

The mouse is ok looking, but it works like crap. Tried it even with my cam batteries, new batteries, etc, and it still moves erratically. It moves around the screen with a huge lag, even if you keep it 1 inch away from the receiver. Tested it with any laptop I could find, including my toshiba and vaio. Tried to install the intellismouse too. And then again, I was wondering how come it is so cheap.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd talk to Microsoft about that then... seems like you need a replacement. I tossed mine over to my friend after the review and she's been using it since with none of the issues you mentioned.

U

Unregistered

I'd talk to Microsoft about that then... seems like you need a replacement. I tossed mine over to my friend after the review and she's been using it since with none of the issues you mentioned.

Oh well.. might be bad luck. Forgot to mention that it also dies (in terms that the led on the receiver stops blinking and stays on continuously) after about 1 minute of usage. I will check with them maybe I get a real mouse after the replacement.

U

Unregistered

Ok, so i got it replaced. Thinking again, considering the gas and time waste, I somehow bought a new one (it is only $20).

About this _working_ model:
Pro:
-PnP, you don't even have to press the "Connect" button on the receiver.
-Good sensitivity and acceleration.
-Hopefully bayeries last longer with the snap-in option.
-Receiver snaps into the mouse.
-A bit tall, which balances the small length of the mouse.

Cons:
-A lil' bit too big receiver.
-The receiver sticks out a bit when you snap it on the back of the mouse.
-Wheel is rather poor, though it works.

Total: Price is ok. 5 years warranty in case it happens to break again.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
" -The receiver sticks out a bit when you snap it on the back of the mouse."

That's the only thing that really bugged me about the mouse. It should be completely flush... would only make sense. Glad your new mouse is working out for you :D

U

Unregistered

" -The receiver sticks out a bit when you snap it on the back of the mouse."

That's the only thing that really bugged me about the mouse. It should be completely flush... would only make sense. Glad your new mouse is working out for you :D

U

Unregistered

Power problem using the Microsoft Mouse 3000

I'm using this mouse and I can't get my screensaver to work with the mouse plugged in...as soon as I unplug the receiver, my power options work fine...any ideas???
Thanks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Strange. I will ask my friend who now has that mouse to test that out and see if she has the same problems.

I am having the exact same problem with my new MS Optical Mouse 3000 on two PCs in the house (purchased 2 at the same time).

The screen saver will only come on if I press Win-L or lock the workstation (eMachine - WinXP Home). Then, after the set amount of time, the screen saver does come on. However, if I do not lock the workstation before hand, the screen saver does not activate. Same issue on the other PC (HP Laptop - WinXP Home).

This is frustrating and is my only real complaint with it. If any one has some ideas it would be helpful (both machines are fully patched).
Thanks

After I posted the message above (about the screensaver not working with the MS Optical Mouse 3000), I found the following KB article from Microsoft that acknowledges this as a problem with their Intellipoint software and some other services (dealing with DVD playback). See knowledge base article #911895 for more information (linked below).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895/en-us

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions,

Richard

Ok, finally found the culprit on one of my machines.

I did NOT have the PCM or DVDLauncher services installed or running on my computer but I DO HAVE a service called PDVDSrv.exe (in the \\...\program files\Cyberlink\PowerDVD\ directory running on startup. After disabling that service, my screensaver worked as it is supposed to (and I did not have to lock the PC first).

I will test this out for a couple of days and post again at the end of the week with any interesting results. But for the time being, it appears the MS KB article mentioned above (KB# 911895) is specific for two or three services but does not cover all of the potentially conflicting services with the MS Optical Mouse.

Hope this helps,

Rick

B

becadel

Help with mouse driver

I bought a Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 yesterday and it won't let me install it because it says the driver software is not there. I have a Winzows Vista 32-bit laptop. It said on the package that it is certified for Windows Vista and I downloaded the software that I needed for it to work but it still does not work. I have looked everywhere for driver help and no-one including Microsoft themselves have an answer for my problem. Hoping you guys can help me out, as it should not be this hard to install a mouse. This is the second one that I have tried.
Thanx bec

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Just to make sure, I believe this is the main driver:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...62-4873-406a-bbbe-c587d35a53bf&DisplayLang=en

If that doesn't work, I don't think I have any more ideas. What you might want to do is plug the receiver in, turn the mouse on, and see if a hardware detection dialog appears. Really, Vista should have the drivers for that mouse. In reality, you don't even need the driver at all. I've used the mouse on my Linux laptop, without issue.

U

Unregistered

Optical Mouse 3000 quit working????

I do love the mouse, HOWEVER, seems to not want to work as needed. I have USED (not just tried, but used completely) countless batteries, have tried Kodak, Engergizer, and various rechargeables, along with standard batteries. Really uses them!

Now, I can not get the mouse to move the pointer. Weird thing is that the buttons will work when I click on them, but not the pointer or the scroll wheel. I have tried to uninstall, re-install, troubleshoot, update drivers, etc, etc, etc. I have been trying EVERYTHING the last 3 days.

Of course, Microsoft wants me to pay them $35.00 for tech support??? I have only had this mouse a few months.

I love the slim, well-fitting design, but I absolutely hate having to have a great product that just all of a sudden quits working or only works about 1/2.

Can anyone please help me. Like I said, I have tried everything to get this to work????

Thanks
Tam

U

Unregistered

Had same problem. Turn the mouse over and press the connect button. This should get you up and running again.