Microsoft to Kill "Windows Live" and "Zune" Branding with Windows 8

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It appears that Microsoft is planning on making some branding changes in Windows 8 to help simplify things. According to The Verge, the "Windows Live" moniker that prefaced a lot of applications within Windows will be replaced with... nothing at all. Windows Live Contacts will become "People", Windows Live Calendar will become "Calendar", and so forth.

windows_8_official_logo_022012.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Now if only they killed, burned, hung and then buried (in that order) Games For Windows Live...

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
seems Windows has been infected with.............. *Dramatic Pause* *Drum roll please* ....... CONSOLITIS!! :D

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
In my experience, the Zune software was so far superior to iTunes, it's a shame it never took off. I will continue to use both my Zunes proudly until they slowly yet surely begin to fail, either by battery or whatever else.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Hahahaha GFWL.... That thing is such a piece of crap. I have to start over every time I reinstall Dirt 2. (likely why I never finished the thing) I hate it its useless just give us games. I mean DRM or not it still fails so just remove it since it just means more problems for legit users.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The problem with GFWL wasn't in the lack of features - it just didn't work. I've had so many problems trying to play games connected through it I just gave up. Resident Evil 5, Dawn of War, Lost Planet - I could barely get those to work, so just gave up in the end. A few months later when I remember to, I could enjoy some of them, but by that time, my interest had waned. GFWL was more of a death sentence than feature bundle (requirement). When Microsoft revamped it last year or whenever, I was expecting a big overhaul - what had changed? Nothing...

I'm just happy in the knowledge that developers are now turning away from it in both frustration and out of respect to their customers. MS has a hard enough time keeping messenger working, so what were they expecting with GFWL?

I am glad MS is dropping 'Live' though, it was just a lot of fluff for no reason. At least we never had "Windows Live Notepad"... Though I'm surprised the EU allowed MS to include Notepad in a Windows release; a bundled simple text editor cornering the market... how dare they!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Now if only they killed, burned, hung and then buried (in that order) Games For Windows Live...

I completely agree. If a game uses GFWL I will not buy it, plain and simple. I don't care even if it's a blockbuster title, it's not worth putting up with the headaches and hoop jumping GFWL repeatedly requires.