Microsoft Releases Tool to Use a Mouse Across Multiple PCs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's a common misconception that a KVM is required to use a mouse across multiple machines, but in actuality there have existed software solutions for some time. Thanks to Microsoft's labs project, "The Garage", a free solution has just become available for Windows users, and it looks quite robust overall.

windows_mouse_without_borders_091211.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
When I need to do something on my HTPC again, I plan to install this instead of using my trackball. Hope it works as advertised.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

Second. :D Synergy was a perfect way to use my regular keyboard/mouse on both my desktop and my laptop... later I used Synergy as a quick dual-monitor setup when using full-screen apps on my desktop. Synergy is an amazing bit of software way ahead of its time. :)

Glider

Coastermaker
Second. :D Synergy was a perfect way to use my regular keyboard/mouse on both my desktop and my laptop... later I used Synergy as a quick dual-monitor setup when using full-screen apps on my desktop. Synergy is an amazing bit of software way ahead of its time. :)

Synergy has forked to synergy-plus... check that out ;)

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Funny enough I did have Synergy in my Apps folder, but I totally forgot about it. /c:

I tried MWOB tonight and ran into a major bug, Win Media Center would no longer work past the initial menu. I had to go to Synergy, with no problems.

I love how a microsoft app doesn't work with another windows app.