Microsoft Launches Third-Gen Zunes, Software Receives Major Updates

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Sure, Apple's about to launch a few new iPod's, but what Microsoft wants you to know is that they've launched their third-generation Zune, which sports a brand-new design and form-factor. Alright, I'm lying. They look exactly like the old Zune's... so what's the point? More storage, of course, with identical pricing schemes to last-gen. What's important here is the software.

One of the biggest features of the new software (which will be launched next week) is the FM Radio tagging. Despite not owning a device that can support something similar, I've been a big fan since I first learned of it, just because it makes things so simple. Hear a song on the radio you like? Tag it, then purchase later. Couldn't be easier, really. Also new is wireless access to the Zune marketplace where you can purchase music and games.

With the new launch, Ars Technica took the opportunity to ask Microsoft if Mac support is en route, and the answer was obvious... there is nothing to talk about. The problem is whether or not adding such support would even be worth the effort, and if the sheer amount of iPod sales are anything to go by, I'd assume the answer to be no.

microsoft_zune_third_gen_090908.jpg

As for games, we've been expecting a major games push for some time, one that would make it simple for community-created and Xbox Live Arcade titles to be ported to Zune. Sadly, that ain't what we're getting. The broader focus on games is "still happening," Seitz says, but it's not happening now. In the meantime, gamers can "wet their whistle" with the two included titles, Hexic and Texas Hold 'Em.

Source: Ars Technica