Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you put two huge peripheral developers in a blender, what would pour out? Well, if it's Microsoft and Razer, you'd have a Habu gaming mouse. Built upon Razer's intuitive designs and Microsofts amazing logo, the Habu proves to be a gaming mouse worthy of your consideration.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

U

Unregistered

Macro!!

I did not notice the mention of a very big feature of this mouse; any button can be used to store a macro (series of keystrokes). This is very useful for some games.

PotShot-RSA

NicePants42

Partition Master
Mmmmmm.....Macros.......

Also, it appears that the Habu uses a laser engine, whereas the DeathAdder uses an IR LED.

I have to say, optional thumb-button plates are a very good idea. If this thing comes out in red, I may have to consider it. Hell, if I like it in the store, a LED swap shouldn't be too difficult.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I believe that the Habu's optics engine is based on the Copperhead's. That would make sense after all.

If the Habu feels anything like the Death Adder that we reviewed a few weeks ago, sign me up. The Death Adder is one of the best mice I have ever used.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't recall seeing a single mention of macros when I perused the press information, or even the official Habu page. They apparently don't care enough to push it as a notable feature.

U

Unregistered

Rob:

Nice review, thanks!

In your screenshot, I noticed the polling rate was set to 125hz. Using other Logitech and Razer mice, I've noticed a huge improvement in accuracy when you move up to the 500hz and up polling rates at >1000dpi settings. Without this, the mouse is just not as accurate. I also turn off mouse acceleration. With no mouse acceleration, max dpi and 1000hz polling, I've found other Razer mouse to be as accurate as possible in desktop usage (I also edit graphics besides playing online FPS games like Counter-Strike/Source.)

Logitech mice usuallly work best at 500hz, although I have a MX518, not a G5.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi Unreg,

That screenshot was taken directly after the install. I did change to 500Hz and have found that to be a tad better as well. I just like the fact that Razer gives you the opportunity to change that from within the software.

U

Unregistered

Nice review. I am currently in a holding pattern waiting for the re-lease of the new G5 (2007) lasermouse supposed to be released June 1st? Any thoughts or have you had a chance to compare this newer version with the Habu or Deathadder?

Thanks

RC

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You mean this mouse? If you like the previous G5 mouse or other Logitech mice with a similar design, you will enjoy the latest version. There is nothing new offered that would warrant getting excited over though.

Personally, I am leaning towards the G5 a little bit more. I think it's mostly just because I have become so used to it over the years, the design I mean.

B

bauerm

The "other button"

The round button on the bottom is for changing profiles that are saved onto the mouse. In case you take it to another computer and don't want to install the software.

NicePants42

Partition Master
Well, after Razer's very helpful 'Ask Microsoft' response to my inquiry regarding a firmware upgrade, I checked a few forums and found that the Habu firmware cannot be updated on a 64bit OS. 32bit XP Pro allowed me to get the firmware upgraded by generally following the instructions on Razer's website. The part about needing a second mouse to complete the new hardware wizard proved correct in my case, which I find unconscionably inane.

So with the firmware updated, I was now able to install the drivers on XP Pro 64bit, and the mouse usually worked. I say usually because occasionally when I reboot or start up from hibernation the mouse is not detected - the first time this happened I tried pressing the small round button underneath the mouse (because I was under the impression that this button reset the mouse, like with the Copperhead) - this actually worked and the mouse was detected, which surprised me because on the Copperhead, this never worked.

However, subsequent start-ups have shown that this doesn't always work, and I still have to reach back there and unplug/replug the mouse on about 25-30% of my start-ups.

If I hadn't already experienced worse problems with the Copperhead, I'd be very disappointed. I've read that the DeathAdder doesn't have these problems, but at this point I'm happy with my 2500dpi A4tech X-750BF.

U

Unregistered

Which one to choose?

I'm out to buy a new mouse, but I don't know which one to choose. I don't have anywhere to try any of them.

I like the MX518 for the most part, but I hate it's glossy surface (it gets dirty and thereby uncomfortable very easy).
The IME3.0 was probably even better in terms of shape, but it lacked in performance when using higher resolutions.
I like to rest my hand on the mouse and not just hold it with my fingers.

Which one would you recommend?
Habu, "new" G5, DeathAdder

It's leaning towards either the Habu or the "new" G5, since the DeathAdder doesn't have the buttons to change DPI on the mouse.

U

Unregistered

heres something thats important that i was wondering are the dpi buttons permanently like that or just default and can change to key strokes.

B

Byhalk

Problem...

Heya all, just recieved my new Microsoft Habu in the post. problem when gaming, like turning round corners in Counter Strike (Game) i lift my mouse up and place it back and keep doing that to turn. problem is, when i lift the mouse up from the pad, it disconnects, almost turns off until i put it back on the mouse pad. and takes a further few seconds to re-connect. so its really not a gaming mouse IMO unless theres a simple solution?

if you could get back asap :) cheers!

B

Byhalk

hmm

Hmm... just been searching the internet for Ages. found that theres an "Always-On mode" can't seem to find the "On" button anywhere <=(

U

Unregistered

habu macros

any idea how to record /create & save the macros ? I can't find anything on it.

THUMPer

Coastermaker
UPDATE:
My Habu Died. The wire got a short in it. I went and got the Death adder, it's the same thing.