Micron Releases 533MHz Chips

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As I touched on in my news posting, I really do wonder if we will be seeing DDR2-1300 and higher in the near future, thanks to these chips. As it stands, many people (myself included) have managed DDR2-1250 and higher stable, so maybe D9GMH/GKX is finally at the end of it's run, since it doesn't seem like memory companies (or enthusiasts) are able to reach a higher stable speed.

One thing that strikes me odd though, is that all three of the 533MHz chips have a CL of 7. I don't believe I've ever used a motherboard that has supported that.. have any of you guys?

I'd like to see if these chips go anywhere though. As it stands, other (less expensive) chips can hit the same speeds, with a lower CAS latency, for a joke. The benefit with these new 533MHz chips (D9JKH) is that they function at 1.8v. Of course... it -is- rated for CL 7 :-/

We'll see where it goes. But with DDR3 hitting next month, it might be hard to get excited about DDR2 for much longer.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We'll know more about DDR3 early June. CAS7 is weird, I agree. Pointless, in fact. We didn't NEED a 533MHz chip, so why are we getting one? Of course, we don't need DDR3 either...