microATX and SFF

day0

Obliviot
I'm looking for some concise reviews of microATX boards that support Core 2 Duo and above. I'd like to find some that have the P965 chipset also if possible. I've looked at the ASUS P5B-VM, but I'd really like to find a board WITHOUT on-board graphics since I'd like to add (which I know I could to that board) a separate GPU. Any links, thoughts, etc would be appreciated.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
lol, the whole point of MATX boards is to cram onboard video onto it for a HTPC. You'll be very hard pressed to find one that doesn't have it. Besides, the MATX boards will also not allow the same levels of OCIng that a full size board will.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Understandable that you want a smaller machine but like b1lk1 said, you are going to be hard pressed to find a mobo without integrated graphics. However, adding a seperate GPX card will not be difficult at all.

day0

Obliviot
I understand the whole HTPC point, however I'm going for 'mobility'. I like cases like these. The ASUS P5B-VM is really looking good to me so far. With a Geforce 79xx GPU included and the minor OC'ing of that board I'd be set. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do like to play and I have the cash to spend.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
In all honesty, you're best bet is to wait a few months for some more boards to come out. THe MATX market is slim pickings right now. If that ASUS b oard has what you need and you can't wait, then it is only logical to go with it. If you're not doing much OCing, then any board that has the features you want will do fine.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
^^^ What he said. Asus is notorious for rock like stability so you wouldn't be wrong in getting that mobo. As for reviews, I havent been able to find any.