Memory Question

HgCn

Obliviot
I'm building a new pc based off EVGA's Nvidia 780i board and I'm kind of confused as to the memory that I'm able to use with the board.

The website says it supports DDR2 533/667/800/1200MHz

My question is 2 fold.

First, I've seen several people list stats of their setups with the same board I'm using with 1066mhz ram, and other off numbers. So does this spec requirement on the site just mean it can use any DDR2 ram between 533mhz and 1200mhz....or is that just a guideline but not actually the required spec?

Secondly, I've heard a few random rumors that this board can run DDR3 memory, but that is not shown on the spec page of Nvidia's Site or EVGA's. Any ideas?

Also, as far as gaming/video how important is the speed of ram...800mhz vs 1200mhz.....as opposed to other factors such as Graphics Card/CPU.

Thanks for the help as always,

-J

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
The board supports DDR2 and DDR2 only, thet are not interchangeable, they have the same number of pins, but the slot is in a different position, so don't try it. There are a few boards out on the market that support both types, but these boards have a extra set of memory slots for this purpose.

As for memory speeds during gaming, IMHO you'll see very little difference on your end while gaming between the 2 different types, maybe a few FPS at best in gaming benchmarks.

Last edited:

HgCn

Obliviot
but what is the max speed I can put in that board....1200?

and can I do inbetween speeds, like 1066 or 1000....even though it doesn't list it on the spec sheet on Nvidia/Evga's Site???

Thanks,

-J

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Like sbrehm said, the board will support basically any DDR2 you throw in there... speed doesn't matter that much. It's just that those speeds are what the board specifically has profiles for in the BIOS. As long as it's between DDR2-533 and DDR2-1200, it will work.