Memory problem with new IP35 board

I just replaced my old ASUS P5N-E with an abit IP35 Dark Raider, and I'm having problems getting the thing working. My specs are in my sig, the processor hasn't been overclocked yet.

I'm using a pair of 2GB Kingston HyperX PC2-8000 sticks, Tuniq Tower and an Antec EarthWatts 500w PSU.

When I press the power button with everything installed, nothing happens. The computer and fans turn on, but there is no beep, and no display.

I took the second Kingston DIMM out and tried again. This time the computer posts, giving me a "CMOS Checksum error". I turn it off and set the jumper to reset the CMOS.

After that, the computer boots with a continuous beep while changing frequency (high to low). I can enter the BIOS and even use the computer normally, but the beeping won't go away. I also can't use the extra stick because it doesn't post with that particular one installed.

I had memory problems old my old IP35 Pro as well, which would give me regular blue screens in XP and Vista, but since then I've RMAed the sticks. When I was still using it, I had luck increasing the voltage (and I tried as high as 2.2v on this board), but nothing seems to be working this time around.

I'm inclined to say the memory's bad, but it worked with my other motherboard, and both of them going bad at the same time seems to be odd.

So I don't know if the board or memory is bad. I've seen HyperX's running in IP35-e's and IP35 Pros, so I know they're (relatively) compatible. If I don't get it working, I'll strip everything bad and use my old board to try to diagnose the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Must be a RAM Virus going around...
I had the same problem with OCZ yesterday.
All the voltage was good, set at a previous setting and working fine. Then different errors in post, one BSOD the memory didnt test ( code 52 ).
Every third time I hit the power reset it would boot into the screen so I could go into BIOS.
So I re seated the RAM, reseated the GPU and everything okay now.

Gremlins, I say....Gremlins in the machine
Be gone ye evil ones, les I unlease the rath of Merlin

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It sounds like a RAM problem.. I've had two sticks go bad at the same time before, but it's because the motherboard killed them both on initial boot.

The first thing to check is make sure EVERYTHING is plugged in properly on the motherboard, and I mean everything. The power connectors, the USB connectors, the ATX headers... just make sure everything is plugged in properly (and that they are all connected to the right pins) before debugging further.

Did you try any RAM you have there all separate? Just install one stick of each kit there and see if it can boot at all without sounding the siren.

You might also want to boot into the BIOS when you are able, and check out the health status and make sure the temps are in check.

The board killing the RAM was something I was afraid of. Everything's plugged in properly, and with one stick installed, the BIOS shows everything within safe temperatures (40C for the processor, off the top of my head).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I still can't believe that a lowly Dual-Core like the E6300 idles at around 40C. I think the QX9650 I have here idles around 35C at most... what a large difference the die-shrink can make.

Well, I figured out the cause of my problems. I did a complete reassembly, and as I was taking off the heatsink, I noticed I had the fan plugged in a port for a case fan, not the CPU fan. :cool: I didn't catch it looking over a second time.

Needless to say, this time I was able to boot up without the siren firing up. One of the modules (the older of the two) did go bad, so I'll have to decide what I'm going to do with it.

After re-applying the thermal paste, I checked again and the processor idled at around 33-37C. I forgot to say that I'm not using the original Tuniq fan, so I'm sure the difference between the 7-tail and 9-tail Cooler Master fan I'm using compared to the Tuniq would make a difference.

I have no idea how the RAM could have gotten bad (maybe ESD, but I didn't notice anything). So far the board's been a treat, but I didn't plan on buying it to have a downgrade in performance. Vista's chewing all my RAM. :mad:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Of my 2 gigs of ram, vista ult 32bit eats 874 mbs....but no more than that

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Glad to hear the problem is fixed! I kind of remember someone in the thread saying, "The first thing to check is make sure EVERYTHING is plugged in properly on the motherboard, and I mean everything."... Can't remember who, though!

I am not too sure I'd worry about only using 2GB of RAM with Vista unless you actually notice a performance decline. I think most people freak out because they see what Vista is using in the Task Manager, but chances are if they didn't look, they wouldn't even notice the difference.

I'll send you a spare 2GB kit I have lying around to replace the one <strike>you murdered</strike> that died on you. Just don't worry about needing 4GB unless your computer is actually being bogged down.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Of my 2 gigs of ram, vista ult 32bit eats 874 mbs....but no more than that

Vista's memory usage is dynamic... so if you had 3GB or 4GB it would be using ~1GB or so instead of 874mb. Memory usage also differs between 32 and 64bit versions, with x64 using more RAM.

I've run Vista on just 1GB, although 2GB is the sweet spot and 3GB will still yield some improvements...