Maxtor OneTouch4 - What HD inside?

liqnit

E.M.I.
Hi All
Is there a way to know waht HD model inside the Maxtor OneTouch 500gb?
Without disassembly?
Mu model Number = 9NT2A4-500

Thanks

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Hi All
Is there a way to know waht HD model inside the Maxtor OneTouch 500gb?
Without disassembly?
Mu model Number = 9NT2A4-500

Thanks

What does it identify as in Device Manager / Disk drives?

The whole "one touch" thing is just software on the drive.
DM should see the drive's model number.

Of course you could open it up and get the model number off the drive...

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
it just see "USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE"

Yes that is what DM will report in the USB section. That's actually the controller in the OneTouch...

Look higher up at Disk Drives it should show you the model of the drive with "USB Drive" behind it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did you ever get this solved, liqnit? I never thought of this issue before, but I plugged in my USB drive and have the same issue of not being able to see the real name of the drive inside.

liqnit

E.M.I.
Did you ever get this solved, liqnit? I never thought of this issue before, but I plugged in my USB drive and have the same issue of not being able to see the real name of the drive inside.

i still haven't connected that drive again
i was having some trouble with it ( the WDTV didn't recognize it:mad:)
and i think this is solved (cable issue) - i hope to check it this evening.
my guess if you couldn't see your HD model neither will i.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey

That's odd... You should see the controller under USB Devices and the drive under Disk Drives in your Windows Device Manager. Or at least that's always worked for me.

I have this thing I do... Whenever I swap out a drive for "something bigger" I will put the old drive into a sleeve (usually NexStar CX or NexStar SX) and give it back to the person as a backup device. The drive ID thing has always worked for me.

The thing is that USB is plug and play from the git go. Every plug and play device has to have a unique ID on your system's buss or it cannot be accessed. If it's a hard disk windows has to be able to query sector size, sector counts, etc. to be able to set up parameters for the drive. So I don't see how they could block the system from accessing the drive...

More weirdness for my "lord knows why" list of things to avoid...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Doesn't work for me at all. There's no disk drive listed, just the USB device. This could depend on the controller, though. Perhaps it's designed to hide the drive from the PC, I'm not sure. I couldn't detect the real name of the drive in the enclosure I was using either in Windows or Linux.