Mango update

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Mango update ... aka Windows 7 phone update

aka Windows 7.5 aka Version 7.10. .. .. ..

I got tired of waiting for the auto notification & decided to get it done NOW!. And as far as that process is concerned, it is all about timing ... so be patient & be prepared to kill some time. The full update time is ~1.5 hours. There are 2 security updates before Mango.

There are 500 feature changes & additions. Bing now has GPS + voice; I'll have to check that out going down the highway. Bing can also scan in text & translate different languages.

AND uh ... holding the back arrow (in the lower left of the display) windows down the current app & then the windows can be pushed sideways for the other apps that were already open.

There is plenty more that I haven't had a chance to look at. It is pretty clear that today has so far been nothing but play.:mad::confused::(:eek::eek::):rolleyes::cool::D

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
How's this update overall? Major, or just minor?

I haven't touched a Windows phone in a good while... I need to get my hands on one and see what it's all about. Any particular reason you favor Windows Phone over the competition?

GPS + Voice - does that use your data, or just via the triangulation method?

Psi*

Tech Monkey
This is a major & significant update. Many voice enhanced commands via Bluetooth headset. It is a completely different phone now.

The phone has a GPS receiver but still requires cell signal for map download/updates in contrast to a Garmin for instance. Therefore it uses data as I have only heard of 1 cell phone that has built in maps ... made by Garmin. Not surprisingly that phone was pretty poor, quirky, & isn't available anymore.

The problem with requiring both GPS & cell signal is that when the cell signal is lost there is no mapping available. For me, that is when I really need it!

I have the Samsung Focus from ATT. I got it from wirefly or amazon for $0.01 just when they came out. Of the 3 models that were initially introduced this seemed to have the better reviews. I don't think that I have ever seen an i-anything for cheap, at least not a working one.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Bing now has music recognition

I played NYC Girl on youtube into the phone ... it took ~10 secs to figure out what was playing. I thought this might be obscure enough not to be found. My daughter comes on at 3:43 :cool: