Mac OSX can't handle the speed of high-end SSDs?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Ran into this one, thought it was amusing so here it is:

Recently, OCZ introduced its line-up of products for Apple platform, as we covered it in our news story. What was weird was the fact that the Vertex Mac Edition SSDs come with different speeds compared to its PC version. If you compare the PC Version of Vertex SSD to a Mac-certified one, you will see that unfortunately, Mac SSDs endured a spec-down by 10MB/s, both in the areas of read and write.

Source OCZ had to slow down its SSDs because Mac OSX can't handle the speed

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That article was kind of difficult to follow... I wasn't sure whether it was the Journaled file system to blame for the S-ATA driver, but it seems to be more the latter than the former. I'd assume that a Journaled FS would have some sort of performance hit, but I'd be doubtful that it'd be around 10MB/s. Could be wrong though...

Either way, it's interesting. You'd expect Apple to keep on top of technologies like this. They're usually very forward-thinking.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I will admit before this I thought any drive could be plugged into a Mac. If I am wrong then someone please correct me... but its interesting to see there is some usefulness to having Mac certified hardware. If their Vertex was able to saturate the software stack then I'd hate to see what a X25-M's read speeds or the X25-E might do.

Let alone anything faster, because if they can afford a Mac Pro desktop then they can likely afford some of the more exotic solutions just coming to market.