Louis C.K. Cuts Out the Middleman; Sells Latest Show for $5

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It might not be ground-breaking, but this past weekend comedian Louis C.K. released his latest show, Live at the Beacon Theatre, through his website for a mere $5 USD. This low-cost is attributed to the fact that Louis cut out the middleman and paid for the production himself. Further, he chose to release the show free of DRM - a bold move.

louis_ck_121211.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It's starting to happen more and more. Radiohead with their music and now Louis CK with his standup routines. I know the two situation aren't identical but it's good to see more and more artists stand up and handle things they way they want them to be handled.

Reminds me of the NOFX song "Dinosaurs will die"

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Radiohead just did the "pay what you want" scheme, right? If so then games have been jumping on this bandwagon also, with things like the Humble Bundle and Indie Royal bundle. Music, movies and games... let's see software next!

Imagine if you could pay what you thought Photoshop was worth? *pipe dream*

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It cost $32,000 for that website...

He must have had a custom back-end built to cost that sort of money. The front-end is too simple.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I don't think they would ....because Adobe already knows what you think Photoshop is worth. :D

Meh as a hobbyist I would pay 250 for Photoshop if they offered it lol. Id rather stick it legit with PSP for 75 and not even bother paying upgrade fee's since the sale prices on the full version are close enough.

What I am into these days has me thinking the Production Premium would be worth it if i had a better income. Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects along with a couple more apps. I could have afforded it this year but I bought all kinds of stuff. Trying to save to move now so... lol

Last edited:

eunoia

Partition Master
Went over a million:

https://buy.louisck.net/news

Nice going Louis! I'm not his biggest fan, but anything that encourages independent artists and asks people to question the implications of where they spend their money is a heroic gift to humanity.