looking for high quality 19" no frill LCD monitor

Alright guys, My search is never ending.

I'm looking for a 19" widescreen monitor. No frill, no gloss, and it doesn't need to be fancy. Majority of the monitors I'm seeing on best buy are just "dumb". They are glossy, have gloss on the sides of the panels or are non adjustable.

I need recommendation for something that looks a bit more professional. It must have height adjustment. I'm just frustrated as I have returned two monitors so far.

Please save me a trip and give me some solid recommendation. Money is not an issue. Must be 19" wide matte screen. Looking for something practical not a toy like one of those LG out these days that make a sound turning on or off.

Last edited:

Krazy K

Partition Master
I'm with ya. I got a 22 and it's a damn shame the selection at Worst Buy or Short Circuit City. Hard to pick something on the net without seeing it and having to look at it all the time. I've heard that the most expensive piece of your computer should be the monitor, I wish I could find a better one to look at myself.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm no monitor guru, so I can't give great advice here, but that monitor you linked to doesn't even support digital inputs, so the image quality is going to be lacking. I know this, because a friend of mine has almost the identical monitor, and I notice it there as well.

You are not that fussy, so I don't think you are going to regret any purchase you make. Get something within your pricerange that includes a digital input (DVI) and you should be more than pleased. I don't recommend that particular monitor though.

I have done that twice already and wasn't happy with my purchase. Have returned two monitors so far as mentioned before. I understand what you mean by missing DVI connectivity. Do you have any recommendation? anyone has any recommendation? I need atleast 5 recommendation before I make any purchase because I'm sick of returning these toys.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well I'm kind of curious... why does it HAVE to be a 19"? The only 19" I've ever stumbled upon have been cheaper models found in Circuit City and the like. If you want good image quality, you're going to have to pay money for it. Dell offers some superb monitors (their W series especially), so if you are willing to spend a few hundred dollars, you can wind up with a great product.

I have their 2408WFP and it's fantastic. AFAIK, all current Dell models also have height-adjustment... you'd just have to make sure before commiting to a purchase.

If I was after a >20" monitor, I'd probably go with this one:

http://tinyurl.com/4qcd63

Thanks Rob. I just realized they also have 1908W which is exact same ultrasharp but in 19". I want 19" because my desk is relatively small. One of the monitor which I returned was a 22" but my eyes were not able to get used to the bigger screen. Its just too big for my workstation desk. If I was buying a TV or something, then I would consider going big. Any thoughts on 1908W? Should I buy it? These Dells definitely look more professional and might be just wanted I always wanted. None of the local stores have it though so I would have to order it. Would you recommend the 19" version of that same monitor?