Looking for a program to fix dead pixels..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey guys,

I remember hearing about this program that repeatedly flashed hard colors for a certain duration, in order to 'kill' dead pixels. I would love to give it a try, because my monitor has a dead pixel that only shows up on occasion, so I know there is a decent chance of getting rid of it forever.

Please let me know if you happen to know the name of the program!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
BAM!

This is a little guide to help you remove dead or stuck pixels from an LCD screen. There's 2 videos at the bottom that are supposed to flash different colors at 30fps. The damp cloth suggestion I've seen in numerous places.

Good luck Rob!

Those programs will only work in limited conditions. If the pixel is "stuck" (not dead), then the flashing program will most likely work. If it's a true "dead" pixel (not stuck) it's a problem of the pixel not getting power. Flashing the pixel won't work, then.

Dead pixel is a slightly overused term. What most people experience is the "stuck pixel", so it can usually be fixed. Like Jakal said, a damp cloth, or even the tip of your finger can sometimes fix a stuck pixel, but it's not a permanent fix........it'll get stuck again eventually.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright, next time the 'stuck' pixel pops up, I will give the damp cloth method a try. Thanks guys... will let you know how I make out.

werty316

Partition Master
Do bad none of this stuuf actually works and damn crappy time as I just found a blue/green pixel on my LCD that just sits there; I guess it a dead pixel but I thought dead pixels are white or black?

ducarti

Obliviot
Wouldn't dead pixels always be black in color? Since if the pixel is not getting any power, then it would not turn on, and thus it would remain black. How could a dead pixel be white in color?

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
ducarti said:
Wouldn't dead pixels always be black in color? Since if the pixel is not getting any power, then it would not turn on, and thus it would remain black. How could a dead pixel be white in color?

A dead pixel can be either a pixel that is not receiving any power, or a pixel that is receiving power all the time. When it does not receive any power it is black, and when it receives power all the time it is white. That is how a dead pixel can be white.

ducarti

Obliviot
SqueekyClean said:
A dead pixel can be either a pixel that is not receiving any power, or a pixel that is receiving power all the time. When it does not receive any power it is black, and when it receives power all the time it is white. That is how a dead pixel can be white.

But if the pizel was getting power and it was broken, it could turn any color, right? Why only white?

xstatic

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
Alright, next time the 'stuck' pixel pops up, I will give the damp cloth method a try. Thanks guys... will let you know how I make out.

Did you ever try this out? I'm curious if it works.

Ben

Site Developer
The solution is simple: just slap your monitor as hard as you can while its on, and it usually fixes the problems.

werty316

Partition Master
Orbit said:
The solution is simple: just slap your monitor as hard as you can while its on, and it usually fixes the problems.

Seriously??? :confused: I am almost at the point doing this; dead pixels are a pain.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Rob Williams said:
Alright, next time I will give the damp cloth method a try.... will let you know how I make out.

lol.

Hopefully in involves a girl and heavy petting...

Fr00zen

Obliviot
Orbit said:

Only works on American made products. Slap it to fix it is the standard way to fix any American products. They always do it that way in the movies, so it must work :wink:

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
ducarti said:
a given cell on an LCD could get stuck on any color black and white are just the most common.
Often the other color ones are just temopary or slow to change due to partial power or a signal problem.
some can be fixed by the 'flasher' software above. or by leaving the screen on all white. or all black (on, but a black/dark screen)

werty316

Partition Master
chillout said:
Are dead pixels noticeable? Do they stand out when playing a game? How do you stand them?

No won't notice them unless you are specifically trying to find them. I have one and don't notice it unless I look for it.