Looking for a new hard drive

vacuumtube

Obliviot
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a good quality hard drive that isn't too expensive to afford. Looking for lowest possible noise and a good all-round performer with lowest possible cost. I saw Rob W. prefers Seagate.

Here's what I like so far:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27144&vpn=ST3500320AS&manufacture=Seagate&promoid=1060
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28170&vpn=HD753LJ&manufacture=Samsung SSI&promoid=1060

I'm looking for best price/quality 500 or 750 gb hard drive. Which one is better out of the two above and are there any other (better) alternatives?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Seagates are pretty good, I can't hear mine seeking unless they are outside the case. Samsung is supposed to make the quietest drives, but the drawback is performance takes a slight hit.

If you want to compare prices, just divide the capacity by the price. The Samsung would be cheaper at ~17.7 cents a gig. Seagate offers a 5-year warranty compared to Samsung's 3-year warranty, and their 7200.11 drives should have better performance.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Seagate, Samsung, Toshiba and Western Digital all make very good drives. I personally prefer Seagate as well but own drives by Toshiba and WD too. I avoid Maxtor like the plague... have had problems in the past. Seagate owns them now so quality might have gone up but I haven't worked with any of their drives since they were acquired.

My best advice is to find the capacity you want and look for the best price you can find, regardless of brand. Warranty should come into the picture as well and Kougar is right, Seagate's 5 year warranty can't be beat.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You will love that drive. I have a 500GB 7200.11 in my main machine, and the 32MB of cache can really make a difference in some cases. I'll sometimes copy a relatively small folder or file (>50MB), and it will copy to another location so fast, that the OS prompt doesn't even have a chance to come up.

I've never experienced that with any previous drive I've owned.

Good to have another Canuck on the forums :)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
You will love that drive. I have a 500GB 7200.11 in my main machine, and the 32MB of cache can really make a difference in some cases. I'll sometimes copy a relatively small folder or file (>50MB), and it will copy to another location so fast, that the OS prompt doesn't even have a chance to come up.

I've never experienced that with any previous drive I've owned.

Good to have another Canuck on the forums :)
Sounds like these may be good for that NAS in the review

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
You will love that drive. I have a 500GB 7200.11 in my main machine, and the 32MB of cache can really make a difference in some cases. quote]

I'm seeing a lot of complaints of clicking drives.
Click of death on 7200.11 brand new drives.
Mostly on the 750 gig drives.
Which I was thinking of getting some time in the near future, but maybe not...

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage: