Logitech V450 Wireless Laser Notebook Mouse

G

Gene

Packaging IS perforated

Hey,
In response to the packaging question--I just picked one up at staples, and the packaging is, in fact, perforated, and took only a few seconds to open with my very own fingers. They actually have a small label in the corner now that says "Easy Opening / Just Bend Corner." Guess they realized people weren't noticing the perforation.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I did use it during CES, but I doubt I used it for more than 10 hours. I was a lot busier there then I imagined, so it wasn't a great test. But... it is still indeed going :)

G

george

so to see if v450 batteries last for months .. i would have to wait for ... a few months ... lol

well how bad can it be....
if they state 12 months ... they should work 3 to 5 months someone might say
then with recharger :D i might think

i'll buy it and see after
as it seems on the net no one is arguing with the 12 months statement

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
12 months does seem high, but even if the mouse lasted a solid month (of actual use) before a recharge I'd be happy. As long as you have good batteries (or rechargeable) batteries, I can't see it ever being a problem.

Another benefit to the mouse that I didn't mention, is that when you stow the USB connector back inside the mouse, it automatically turns it off. Good way to save battery life without thinking about it.

U

Unregistered

Don't buy this mouse

This could just be a one-off case but I had a hard time with this mouse.
Bought it a couple of months ago and (thank god) it broke last week very easily by accidentally dropping it from my desk. I use a laptop extensively so I like small, long lasting, PnP, no hustle mice.
THE GOOD
The v450 sure has a very good laser which works on every surface but glass and feels very good on your hand. For a small mouse, feels almost like a normal sized one. To be quite honest, this was my dream laptop mouse until...
THE BAD
Drivers: Since when do mice need 40mb drivers? Hell, since when do 3 button mice need any drivers at all? They are optional, but once you decide to install them for a better experience (precision and all) you get a needless, crappy, drivers bundle that is also built for a dozen or more logitech products with useless auto-updates which probably correct bugs for the other devices.

Click: Although quite happy with it at the beginning, I soon noticed, and later got annoyed by the fact that the mouse would often refuse to left-click. Yep, I would hear the clicking sound but the click would not occur. Reception was definitely good at those times, as I never noticed any lag in movement or "missing" right-clicks. I tried applying different pressure to it to see if there was dust or something "blocking" the click but to no success since the mouse, when ok, worked fine with the slightest of clicks.

Build: My tolerance and suffering with this mouse ended when I accidentally (honest) dropped it from my desk (yup the usual 1m high, desk). Since then the laser broke too, leaving me with a right clicking, often left-clicking motionless pointer at my laptop screen...
Since I am a computer programmer after all, and never in my 18 years of mice usage ever experienced a mouse breaking after this kind of drop, I thought it could be a driver error, so I tried reinstalling them, only to find myself with a never ending message telling me it is safe to now plug in my non-working mouse to my usb port, which by doing so resulted for the message to stay there, still waiting for a "properly functional" mouse to be plugged in. I then tried uninstalling the drivers, also without success, as the annoying "plug in this amazing mouse" message kept popping instead, only to remind me how stupid I must be, not to be able to plug a mouse in a usb port. Being a computer wiz, I restarted and booted from my Ubuntu linux drive, surely to find the same non moving but right clicking mouse, leaving me no option but to throw it away. Before restarting once more, I plugged in a casual wired MS usb mouse and now windows would refuse to start, displaying an error message about a driver or something. I figured it was the mouse, booted in safe mode, managed to uninstall the drivers by bypassing the registry and finally rebooted to paradise, a place where logitech mice do not exist.

I know this could be one single case, but the feeling in my guts is still the same. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!