Logitech MX610 Cordless Laser Mouse

W

Wayne

Buy This MOUSE!!!

I have been using the Logitech MX-610 Laser Mouse now for about 5-months and, well I have to say that is without a doubt, the closest thing to “perfect” that I’ve ever had (when it comes to peripherals, that is!). We here at 3D-Aura Inc. reverse-engineer technical products on a daily basis so I’ve seen “The Guts” of literally hundreds of input devices: the MX-610 is one of the most “refined” ‘piece of engineering I’ve yet to see in a mouse, regardless of price or reputation…or hype.

Unfortunately, I’m not at work right now so I don’t have the exact technical specifications on this device. However I will try my best (from memory), to at least answer some of “Clau85’s” questions, as well as to make a comment that I saw in this posting about the Diamondback using a “pure lazer (sic)” system…

Off the top-of-my-head, the MX-610 (from here on known as just the mouse!) uses the Agilent ADNx-6030 (or similar) Optical Bundle which is based on their “LaserStream” technology. This would consist of their newer, second-generation sensor (thus avoiding most, if not all of the peculiar tracking problems found in many of the first-generation laser-based mice produced by both Logitech as well as Diamondback). Furthermore, contrary to what “Jakal” has stated (or perhaps I misunderstood the statement?), this mouse does indeed utilize not only a complete, integrated Agilent Laser Package, it also is using (as I stated above) this package in its second-generation which is truly technically superior (in most respects) to even their first-gen MX-1000.

However, “Jakal”, you are correct in your assertion that this mouse has less “DPI” performance than either the Razorback or the MX-1000 devices. Your are incorrect, however, in stating that the MX-610 is not utilizing “pure” optical system: it is indeed designed around a laser, including the laser itself, as well as laser sensor. The laser (ADNV-6830), utilizes a technique called “Single-Mode Vertical-Cavity Surface Emitting Laser (VCSEL) which is coupled to a “Low-Power Laser Mouse Sensor (ADNS-6030…IF memory serves!), and here is how it works (in brief):

The ADNS-6030, which measures changes in position by optically acquiring sequential surface images (frames) and mathematically determining the direction and magnitude of movement.
The ADNS-6030 contains an Image Acquisition System (IAS), a Digital Signal Processor (DSP), and a four wire serial port. The IAS acquires microscopic surface images via the lens and illumination system. These images are processed by the DSP to determine the direction and distance of motion. The DSP calculates the delta-x and delta-y relative displacement values. An external microcontroller reads the delta-x and delta-y
information from the sensor serial port. The microcontroller then translates the data into PS2, USB, or RF signals before sending them to the host PC.

So much for the optical system! Now, onto the RF system!

As mentioned in the article (and a fine article it IS indeed, thank you!), this mouse utilizes the 2.4GHz freq., but here is where Logitech performs some “magic” to differentiate it from some of the other manufactures (and I believe the “Razorback”, too, utilizes this system?) – it uses (from what I can tell anyway), “Spread Spectrum” technology or “frequency hopping” (yup, just like that used by our military!) to achieve that outstanding, 30-ft. range AND this also would allow it to, basically “change the channel” when and if there were other devices in the area working on the same freq.

Furthermore, as wonderful as the technology used in these mice truly is, I would have to say that the “Razorback” and/or “Diamondback” series of mice does indeed have an edge over the MX-series of mice due to one single factor: the LENS…of all things! From what I understand, the “backs” use an “in-house” design for their lens-assembly, which is superior to those used by other “Mice Makers”. SO, IF I were going to purchase a mouse to be used mostly for GAMING, I wouldn’t hesitate to pickup a Diamondback!

HOWEVER, IF all I wanted was an EXCELLENT mouse to be used for everyday tasks AND SOME gaming, I would definitely recommend purchasing the Logitech MX-610!! OH wait, the “features” i.e. mail and IM, almost forgot!

For me, they are useless. BUT, I believe that they are PROGRAMMABLE so you can use them for other activities, such as scrolling, multimedia, et. al. .
I hope this was enough information for you and, BTW, no, I don’t work for Logitech NOR do I know anyone who DOES work for them!!

Best wishes,
Wayne
Flight Systems Engineer
3D Aura

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression the 610 had a LED, similar to other Logitech optical mice, and not an actual laser. I'm going to have to look up that company, 3D-Aura. I love taking things apart lol!

Last edited:
W

Wayne

Meeses :)!!

Jakal said:
Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression the 610 had a LED, similar to other Logitech optical mice, and not an actual laser. I'm going to have to look up that company, 3D-Aura. I love taking things apart lol!

Cool Jakal! That you like to "take things apart", that is! Taking a Laser Mouse apart...well, its sorta fun...BUT what's REALLY a blast is when you start taking apart the family DOG :eek:!!! Hehe..haven't tried THAT one yet!

One thing I forgot to mention, about gaming and this mouse: the specs. are (around) "20-inches per second". Now, that may SOUND fast and, to the average "user" (and judging by your system, you are NOT an "average" user..power-user..YES :)!!) but I'd bet that the Diamondback and/or Razorback mice (meeses :)?) do about TWICE that huh??? ANOTHER nice feature of both of those mice, are those two HUGE BUTTONS!! They are both also known to be durable as well. And Logitech has their G5 and G7 "gaming mice" (sounds errrr..a little..funny, don't it :)??) which are, from what I HEAR, EXCELLENT mice for gamers...SOME gamers but others prefer a "higher profile" mouse - that's where the two Logitech's come in: they are simply not as thin or "low-profile" as the (what? Don't they make a Diamondback, a Razorback, and a "Copperhead" mouse??) others.

NOT THIS GUY! For ME, being into flight simulation and all, I use my Saitek X-52 HOTAS :)! Yeah I know "its not a Cougar" but (here is something that, for some reason, Saitek fails to mention on their product), the Saitek uses "HALL-EFFECT SWITCHES" :)!!!! And, anybody with a Cougar HOTAS KNOWS that the potentiometers in their sticks SUCK :(!! SO they pay even MORE to have them shipped-off to God only KNOWS where and have those SAME Hall-Effect switches put IN them!! That's like ANOTHER $200.00 (which is INSANE....we could do it for a LOT less than that!!) on TOP of the already (what...about $300 big-ones for a Thrustmaster these days :(??) high price they paid for the device :(!!

Oooops! Sorry to get off topic here....NICE forum(s) here though...not a lot of child-like bickering like on some; not that I have seen anyway - great job :D!

The Wayne Unit

U

Unregistered

problem with setpoint detection

Setpoint doesn't recognize the mouse, so i can't use the extra buttons. These kind of problems really annoy me!
Otherwise the mouse is ok.

K

Keith

Email on the mouse

When it flashes that you have an email can it go to Hotmail, or just to outlook?

K

Keith

Email on mx610

I was wondering if there's a way to change that, so it goes to hotmail.

madmat

Soup Nazi
You might be able to set it to open your browser but that's about it. You can however set Outlook Express to check Hotmail if you're so inclined.

zachig

Obliviot
Hi guys!!!

I was also under the impressions that the MX610 is a great mouse...but:

I recently purchased the "Left-Handed" version of the MX610.
I'm already using it for one week and I'm facing severe lagging problems, espceially when surfing the internet.

It seems that whenever I open several instances of Internet Explorer and/or the CPU usage is over 20%, the mouse cursor starts to seriously.

The lagging is sooo bad, that sometimes, the cursor actually freezes for a second or two!!! :(

This is VERY annoying and I suspect that maybe I got a defective mouse...:confused:

I saw that you were talking about some lagging problem that might be caused by "too many" USB connections, so maybe I have the same problem?

I currently have the following USB connections:
1) Microsoft Optical Mouse.
2) Logitech QuickCam Messenger.
3) Logitech MX610 Mouse.

When I moved the 2.4GHz adapter from the back of the Case to the front, it seems that the laggings occur less often???

I'll appreciate you help/advice,

madmat

Soup Nazi
Too many things on an unpowered hub might cause that but not just on ports. You might have a bad receiver which would explain why it likes being closer to the mouse. Try RMA'ing the unit (I think Logitech can hook you up so that you won't have to ship it back) and see if the replacement is better.

zachig

Obliviot
Thanks...I guess I'll contact Logitech Help-Desk and see how can they help me...:confused:

Hopefully, they can send me another Reciever unit, so I can check it out. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for your advice and help.

If any of you will have some more info that might help, I'll be glad to hear...;)

THX. :)

A

Alpine

I got one of a MX 610 this morning after reading your review, I was going to get a G5 but they were out of stock :( This mouse is perfect except the IM & email buttons. They link me to MSN & outlook but they don't light up. I've tried installing the newer version of set point like people say you should do but nothing changed.

Please help me!

zachig

Obliviot
I got one of a MX 610 this morning after reading your review, I was going to get a G5 but they were out of stock :( This mouse is perfect except the IM & email buttons. They link me to MSN & outlook but they don't light up. I've tried installing the newer version of set point like people say you should do but nothing changed.

Please help me!

Regarding MY problem, it seems that after I used an extension cable and moved the reciever VERY close to my mouse, the problem DOES NOT happen anymore!!! So I think it was a reception problem.

I also contacted Logitech Customer Support and they told me that sometimes, some of the cables at the back of my PC Case and/or some other metal things near my case (even the metal frame of the table...:confused: ) can interfere with the mouse receiver). That's why they advised me to use an extension cable for the USB and that's what I did. :D

Regarding YOUR problem, I also heard about these problems with IM and E-mail buttons, but sorry I can't help you out...

As far as I understood, these are driver-related issues, so maybe you should try contacting Logitech Support as well and get an advise.

I know that the IM is working for me, though I don't use the E-mail button, as it works ONLY with Outlook and I'm ONLY using my Gmail account. :(

A

Alpine

Regarding MY problem, it seems that after I used an extension cable and moved the reciever VERY close to my mouse, the problem DOES NOT happen anymore!!! So I think it was a reception problem.

I also contacted Logitech Customer Support and they told me that sometimes, some of the cables at the back of my PC Case and/or some other metal things near my case (even the metal frame of the table...:confused: ) can interfere with the mouse receiver). That's why they advised me to use an extension cable for the USB and that's what I did. :D

Regarding YOUR problem, I also heard about these problems with IM and E-mail buttons, but sorry I can't help you out...

As far as I understood, these are driver-related issues, so maybe you should try contacting Logitech Support as well and get an advise.

I know that the IM is working for me, though I don't use the E-mail button, as it works ONLY with Outlook and I'm ONLY using my Gmail account. :(
That's not very useful if your using a notebook on the move & you just want to plug it in without wires. But as I'm on a normal PC I will do that! Thanks :D

A

Alpine

I've just been following the drive problems & none work damnit.

Sorry for double post. Guest cant edit.

madmat

Soup Nazi
That's so weird! I've got my mouse 15-20 feet away from the receiver and it never skips a beat. Sorry to hear y'all are having troubles. You can use gmail with outlook/outlook express just so you know.

I wonder if your mouse is having problems with the buttons or something. Mine worked great although I'm using it sans drivers now.

A

Alpine

Well it wasn't exactly what wanted so I've taken it back to the computer shop & I've ordered a G5. Should come tomorrow :D

M

Matt A

I have this mouse and it's great. The reviewer mentioned that the left tilt on the wheel was sticking and that he had trouble waking the mouse up, but I have experienced neither of those problems. Just make sure you have the latest software so that the forward and back keys work in Firefox.

zachig

Obliviot
Now, after I moved the Reciever to the front of my case, the reception is MUCH better, and I'm not facing the problems I've described anymore!!!

So now I can say, I'm pretty satisifed with this mouse. :D

Thanks for your help guys!!! ;)