Logitech MX3000 Cordless Desktop

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There's no shortage of keyboards and mice to choose from when you are looking for a purchase. Today we are taking a look at a combo that should prove perfect for media buffs; even better if you have an HTPC!

Discuss it here!

W

wooio

My MX3000 desktop is prone to interference like the review sample, unless the base is positioned directly next to the keyboard and mouse. Even then I am unable to use the MX600 mouse within 1 metre of my Wacom Intuos graphics tablet due to interference issues. The onscreen cursor takes on a mind of its own.

Has anyone else had issues with this cordless desktop and their graphics tablets?

This would be such a great value for money product if it wasn't for the interference issues.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't have a tablet, but my issues may have been directly related to interference too. I have never had issues with other keyboards though.

Z

zacuke

I have a MX3000 also, and I agree poor reception between the base and the components. I have a Logitech 2.4ghz Wingman Cordless and it kicks ass, ive never seen it lose signal. Both mouse and gamepad here exhibit far too quick sleep modes, as the cutscenes in games usually put it to sleep and then drop you back into action, waiting for the controller to wake up.

I expect these to be power saving features, which would cut cost on battery usage... although I have rechargable batteries, so I would rather have a stronger wireless signal than an extra month between charges....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'll mention to Logitech about the poor reception, because apparently I was not the only one with any problems. Since I switched bases (Luckily most Logitech bases will work with most Logitech products), I have not had any issues whatsoever.

S

SkyHawkPA

My experience with the kit was distressing. NOthing I did could cause either the keyboard or the mouse to work, although the connect light on the mouse indicated connection. I worked for about an hour trying everything I could think of to remedy the situation but to no avail. I gave up and trashed both the keyboard and mouse. Any ideas as to another manufacturer that I could try?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I wouldn't really recommend ditching Logitech all together. I agree with you though.. this kit is problematic. I still have issues with it from time to time, but have had no problem with anything else they have made. The -biggest- problem of the 3000 is the stupid receiver that they included. It's pretty much useless.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
well... its been ~ 2 years now with this combo.

The mouse began having some SERIOUS interference ~ a year ago. :( I had to replace it, so I traded up to an MX revo. I haven't missed my old mouse much if at all.

They keyboard is not starting to act up similarly. It will occasionally say that the ctrl key is pressed and without warning. This can be very troublesome, especially when you hit the W key. (try ctrl+w now... I'm sorry ahead of time)

So yeah... I soon may be replacing my keyboard if this keeps up.

Over all though I would still recommend this combo. I like the keyboard arrangement. Though sometimes the arrangement of the home, end, and num pad is a problem; in some cases it is really a plus.

It was cheap for my brother in law to buy for me. And since it was a gift it was free for me ;-p I still onlu think he spent $50 for it at best buy.

Edit: in addition... I may be looking at the wave next. The shape is similar.

U

Unregistered

Logictech MX3000 - problems

Hi Folks

I've been using the logitech MX3000 kit now for 18 months. I find the keyboard to be excellent as long as you DO NOT install the bundled media software AND you use the new setpoint drivers specific to your OS from the Logictech site. The keyboard extra keys are really great, all functions will integrate well with the usual Microsloth applications which is a boon because.... The MX610 laser mouse falls asleep after 5 or 6 seconds of no movement. Logitech have suggested this is normal to preserve battery life and the new drivers help you use the mouse with games - sort of. Not impressed.
My biggest gripe? Logitech do not support any sort of KVM. I've been an IT professional in the UK for 20 years, I have used a Compaq KVM for the last 8. The Mouse sort of works until you need to use a PC with USB keyboard/mouse connections, then the whole setup goes bonkers. I have borrowed a Microsloth wireless mouse and it works fine. It's not as nice looking or ergonomic as the logitech but it's reliable. I will keep the MX3000 keyboard but I'm going out to buy a new mouse today.
As for the receiver, yes it's ugly, but I blu-tac mine to the underside of my monitor and get reliable reception for 10 feet; keep it away from your PSU though. If you still have problems try turning off your office lights - yes, some of the old energy saving flourescent bulbs interfere with blutooth, don't ask me how, it took me weeks to figure out.

Cheers

Andy

U

Unregistered

I have just went to patch 3 of microsoft and lost all my key functions of the MX3000 keyboard, except some. So there is connection. I have installed the driver many times now and getting tired..,..