Logitech io2 Digital Writing System

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you enjoy hand writing more than typing, then the io2 pen was made for you. Though this is a product that's been out for a while, we are taking a fresh look at it today to see if it stands the test of time. In the end, it still proves to be a quality product worthy of your consideration.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here!

GeekGirl

Obliviot
After talking with more people about the io2Pen (and it's very easy to get people interested as it really is just a good idea) some other uses came up.

• Realtors who need to take notes when reviewing a home for sale, now don't have to lug around a laptop, or rely on their memory.
  • Students! Now where was this during those painfully long lectures? This device would allow you to make all the notes you want, preserve your hardcopy but also provide you with a Word Document for later use in reports and information sharing.
  • Meeting minutes.
  • Creative types who like to write their ideas in the park or on the el train.
  • Police reports and notes.
Anything out in the field like that where the logistics of a laptop simply do not work well, and you still need to transcribe your notes to digital format later.

Should more industries see the usefulness of this pen, perhaps paper void of all lines and margins, but obviously still containing the microdots, can be produced, which can then be printed with templates of your choosing. That way, the outline and fields to be filled in could be simply printed onto the paper using a standard printer, the user would then write within those fields and when the document was uploaded, it would upload into the corresponding Word Document that has those fields already in place.

Overall, I really liked this pen. The more I use it, the more I find ways to use it. It honestly just keeps getting better and I don't mind correcting the odd 'deadbeats' error, because it sure does beat retyping the entire document. At that point, you're not reproducing by hand, but merely proofreading.

~Kiersten aka GeekGirl

madmat

Soup Nazi
Pretty neat tool, one question though...is the paper in a grid pattern? I remember a pen like this that required grid paper to track.

GeekGirl

Obliviot
The paper looks plain to the eye, but when you press it up close to your nose you can see very small dots on it. There is actually a good picture of the paper itself, in the closeup of the two pen tips image.
pentips_thumb.jpg

This happens to be the lined paper, I'm sure there's also unlined available.
The hash marks on the lines to the far left of the picture are part of the optional bottom of the page that lets you list things like keywords for that document.
But as you can see theres no discernable grid, it's just plain lined paper.

U

Unregistered

Vista? Microsoft Word 2007?

Hi there,

I'm interesting in purchasing this pen, as it seems like it was made for me. Before I dish out the cash, I want to make sure that it will work with Microsoft Vista, and Microsoft Word 2007, as it is not indicated on any of the reviews available.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

U

Unregistered

Also, how does it work with onenote? Does it come in as one big image or like it does as if you'd written with a tablet?

GeekGirl

Obliviot
My apologies, I did not see these posts until I was directed to them today, this thread was not showing up as unread :\

I cannot attest to Vista as I 'upgraded' back to XP, however I will do some looking around.

I'll toy around with OneNote and let you know.

Again, apologies for delayed responses.

~GeekGirl

GeekGirl

Obliviot
Regarding Vista, here are some posts I found online:

I found a workaround to get the digital pen to work in Windows Vista. It is a variation of what I had to go through to get Vonage's V-Phone to work. I went to the program folder and on each application I went to properties and selected the compatability tab. Then I checked the box for Windows XP compatabiltiy. Next I turned off User Account Control to stop the annoying message box. It now works just fine.
and
I don't know if I'm too late to help on the io2 vista problems, but I have a sure fire way to make the software work.
When installing your software make sure that no other instances of the software is active. the best way to do this is by going to task manager and clicking on the services tag, find the pid # or service name that needs upgrading (a pop-up will give you this information) and end it. This cannot be done directly from the task manager-why, beats me-but all you have to do is click on the services button on the lower right side in the services tab and you will be able to end that particular service from the next window that pops up. The final step is the easiest one. After installation, simply go to programs, logitech folder (not logitech io2 which will be there also), io2 software folder, Pen.LplsHost.exe. Right click on that file, then go to the compatibility tab. Change the compatibility tab to windows xp and also give it administrator priviliges by clicking at the bottom. Reboot. And that my friends is how after weeks of toiling with this horrific dilemma, I have found a way to make the io2 digital software work on vista.
and
I went through the installation of io2 software install vers. 4.1.852.1 without a problem under Windows Vista Home Premium. The icon appears on the taskbar with the red circle indicating a pen isn't in the cradle. When I put the pen in the cradle Windows doesn't recognize the pen. If I go to pen settings nothig is listed nor is it listed in the devices manager. I've followed directions about run the pen.ink.download as administrator by right clicking on the icon and choosing "Run as Administrator." However, if I click on properties the run as administrator is grayed out even though I have admin privileges and have UAC disabled. I also selected to run all application files as Windows XP SP1.

So while things don't look all that promising for Logitech supported Vista, there appears to be ways around, here is a link to the forums specifically for the IOPen
http://forums.logitech.com/logitech?category.id=io_digital

~GeekGirl

GeekGirl

Obliviot
Though you can export to Microsoft OneNote, OneNote will not recognize your strokes as text input, only as drawings.

:\

U

Unregistered

thanks!

Though you can export to Microsoft OneNote, OneNote will not recognize your strokes as text input, only as drawings.

:\

Hi Geek Girl,

Thanks for the help and I think I might "upgrade" to XP as well; just makes everything easier...lol

U

Unregistered

I got the io2 for christmas and have been at it for two days just trying to get the darn thing to even install on vista but I've had no luck - I've been scouring the forums for tips and solutions but nothing works - my sister got the fly fusion pen for christmas about the same but aimed towards teens but I know that is vista compatible I may have to trade mine in for a fly fusion/

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I feel your pain... I really have no idea why Logitech doesn't shift some of the development team towards Vista for their older products. It's not like they have to do it all the time.. upgrade the drivers and be done with it...