Logitech Harmony Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you an Xbox 360 owner and want an all-in-one remote control? Logitech was on the ball and produced such a remote, and it can control probably every device in your gaming room. Let's take a closer look to see how user friendly this thing is!

After reading the review here, feel free to discuss it here!

BlackAndy

Obliviot
Rob,
Nice review! Looks like a very cool remote, I've seen it in the store, but thought it was a little out of my price range at the time. Two questions, any idea how this works with a PC running Windows Media Center(ie. how it will navigate between different forms of media)? And how hard was it to program to your TV 's specific features like picture-in-picture, etc.
T.I.A.
BlackAndy

S

Shteve

The Logitech remotes actually use a slightly different method of usage, thats quite a bit easier than normal programmable remotes. You set up different tasks such as:

I want to watch a DVD using the TV sound
I want to watch a DVD using my Amp

so you can set it for each action you want to do (option 1 would leave the amp off, but assign the volume buttons to control the tv, whilst option 2 would switch on the amp and program the volume buttons to control the amp) etc

The remote does keep track of which systems are activated (slight error in the review), but cannot handle systems without a seperate button for power on/off. A device which simply has a toggle power switch will just toggle between on/off ie if your tv is already on when you choose to use the remote, it will switch the tv off - the help facility will get it switched back on easily enough. Personally I've bypassed that problem by telling the remote that there is a different button for on and off, and then not programmed an 'on' IR command. I have to switch the TV on manually, but then all works great from then.

It also has an IR signal learning facility, so if a feature is missing from Logi's database, you can teach it to your remote anyway.

I don't have this model remote exactly (mine's the 585), but it looks very similar and I'm 99.9999% sure my comments will stand with this remote too.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey BlackAndy,

My TV doesn't have PIP as far as I know, so I can't test that. The options are there in the remote though. As for Windows Media Center, I could not test because my Xbox is not hooked up to a computer. I am going to go buy a new router today which will make that possible. I really don't see any problems with the remote working for that though, as long as you are using the Media Center *through* your Xbox 360.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Shteve said:
The remote does keep track of which systems are activated (slight error in the review), but cannot handle systems without a seperate button for power on/off.

I meant that in the sense that if you manually turned on your TV, then the remote doesn't know. On one occasion, I pushed the button to play Xbox and it turned my TV off, because it didn't know it was already on. It's just a product you have to play around with a little bit, but it's still nice.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Might have to look into one of those. I use the ol' 360 a lot more that for just playing games and many times, a remote would have came in handy. Hmmm....

ducarti

Obliviot
Very nice review. I think I could use this. Will wait until the price goes down before getting one though.

U

Unregistered

how to turn off harmony360 remote

after turning off tv and cable how do you turn the remote off it still shows stuff on the lcd...

U

Unregistered

Can this remote operate a DVR?

Hey thank you for the review on the remote, so helpful. just one last thing before i buy it, can this remote control DVR's as well?