Logitech Cordless Precision PS3 Controller

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There's a new PS3 wireless controller out there, and it's from none other than the king of peripherals. Their controller costs $10 less than Sony's own offering, but as we have found out, you might be better off spending that extra money.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Tigerscale

Obliviot
Rob, your comment about the lack of a rechargable battery pack in the Logitec is actually a double sword for the Sony. If need be, you could always use rechargable batteries in the Logitec, however, with Sony's design, there's no way to swap out batteries. You can only charge the controller's existing, embedded, battery. And like any lithium-ion, eventually, it will just stop charging, which means you'll be forced to spend $59.99 on a new controller as apposed to simply replacing the battery. Theoretically, as long as you have a decent set of rechargables, the Logitec could last you indefinitely. So, even though the Logitec may not come with a rechargable, personally, I'd rather replace the batteries rather than the whole controller.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to the forums!

That's a great point, and one that didn't even pass through my mind. Perhaps it's a triple-edge sword, though. The PS3 gamepad might last three years (I really have no idea the duration of a LiOn battery), but you might spend more on batteries for the Logitech gamepad in that time. Unless of course you use rechargeable, but I've never had great experiences with using rechargeable batteries in devices like this.

I do wonder how long the official gamepad would last... it's a good point. At least when it -does- die, you can use it as a wired gamepad, so not all hope is lost I guess.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Tri sword aside (would that make it a tri force sword???)

I nick name this controller "the M" for shape. The PS controllers have done little in the way of fitting my hands since I was ~12-13. This looks thick enough it might though... Might being the operative word.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To add... both the Playstation 3 gamepad and this Logitech one both work in Linux without any special drivers. So that gives them both a secondary use... game emulators in Linux. Neither work in Windows though, sadly.

U

Unregistered

Logitech controller DOESN'T work with GTA5 Prologue

I just bought this controller to save $10 over a Sony controller....

So I have the Sony controller that comes with the system, GTA5Prologue, and the Logitech controller.

Both factory and aftermarket controllers work perfectly fine during all the menu and settings selection screens....pick races and whatnot...

But once the race starts.......3.....2....1.......Go!

You have no control over the vehicle whatsoever.

No steering, no gas, brake, etc.

The ONLY buttons that work are START to pause it....and the PS button for the system screen.

I have tried making this controller 1.......or controller 2.

I have tried putting the USB dongle in different slots...

No dice either way.

It just doesn't work at all during the game for some reason.....I'm taking it back to Target and getting the Sony controller.

U

Unregistered

Logitech Gamepad

I also bought this controller as an addition to a new PS3 with GT5 Prologue pack.

It didn't work with the game, as the previous poster states, so I took it back and swapped it, thinking I bought a faulty one. Turns out the second one didn't work either.

Turns out, despite Logitech being involved in the production of GT5 (you will see the Logitech sysbol in a start up screen!) - the controller doesn't entriely work.

Logitech themselves don't not have an explantion/excuse/reason on their website.

Don't buy it and pay the extra for the Sony original.

Moose

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That is incredibly odd, given how much support Logitech has given to the game. Thanks for the heads-up.

U

Unregistered24

same problem plus more

my Logitech controller will not work with GTprologue and i dropped once to the floor and the system wont recognize the controllers signal anymore.
everytime i press button the analog light blinks five times but nothing happens.
any answers or suggestions??

U

Unregistered

questionare

i just wanted to know if the logitech cordless prescion controller's L2 and R2 buttons are really that bad? and does work for games such as smackdown vs raw and call of duty 4?

G

Gobbomob

Yeah, this controller got it's quirks. No Sixaxis, still requires USB receiver. On the other hand, I prefer putting in batteries to the controller. I use rechargeables, anyway. Also, I got this controller to play fighting games because I find this controller's d-pad is perfect for pulling off special moves in fighting games like street fighter & guilty gear ( I own a 60GB Ps3 that plays Ps/Ps2 btw).

U

Unregistered

USB Dongle

I lost the Dongle that came with this. Will any other Bluetooth Dongle work? Or where will I have to buy one separately and what is it?

U

Unregistered

Alright, thanks man. I'll try it with a regular bluetooth dongle then go to that site.

U

Unregistered

how exactly do you turn the stupid thing on?
i've pressed all the buttons and the light flashes but doesnt stay on.

U

Unregistered

Mad as hell!

I have returned this twice already because all the controls get messed up. I cant even use the analog sticks. This has happened twice. I am returning it and spending the extra 10 bucks. Way more worth it.

G

gwhite1812

God of War III

My controller isn't working properly I don't think. When you open the orb chests you hold down the R1 button for a couple of seconds and when I do that it acts like its on rapid fire it keeps trying to open the chest then stops and starts again, over and over is there something wrong with the way I am using it or what. Oh by the way I have a Logitech Cordless Precision controller! Any advice would be helpful!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
My controller isn't working properly I don't think. When you open the orb chests you hold down the R1 button for a couple of seconds and when I do that it acts like its on rapid fire it keeps trying to open the chest then stops and starts again, over and over is there something wrong with the way I am using it or what. Oh by the way I have a Logitech Cordless Precision controller! Any advice would be helpful!

The turbo happens only with that particular button? Have you ever spilled something on your gamepad, like soda or water? That kind of effect is exactly what can happen when you spill liquid on an input device (I've done it more than once). It could also be a power issue, but it seems unlikely if the rest of the buttons work fine.