List of Games You Think are Overrated.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I've played both WoW and Guild Wars and I've got to tell you GW is a lot better graphic wise. You're actually a person and the world must be twice as large as WoW. I like the profession ability in WoW but I like the gameplay better in GW. It's really a matter of opinion and what type of play style you like. No monthly charge is another great thing about GW.

I think that the new Burnout games are overrated. Since EA bought out the original maker the game has gotten worse in my opinion. Burnout 2 was the most fun. Me and some friends would play the crash game for hours on end. Now you've got to struggle just to get a silver medal.

I love Battlefield 2 though. The map selection could be better but gameplay is great.... except when you can't get out of your base because a plane keeps bombing you. I haven't figured out how to make my left shift the crouch key yet, but it's a great sequal.

leecho7

Partition Master
I play Battlefield 2 here and there. Haven't got the Special Forces expansion yet. BF2 actually suprised me, and I enjoy it a lot.

I've been on a real slump in video gaming lately... I just can't come to sit down and take the time to play anymore.

Easy list.

Halo 2, Doom 3, HL2, the GTA series, any game that relies on TV commercials every 10 minutes to remind you it's being released in a month or two.

I've tried WoW, and liked it, as well as Guild Wars. Both have their strong points, but honestly, unless you have a regular group of friends online, both get really boring really quickly.

I still play Star Wars Galaxies, have for over two years now, but SOE's totally screwed it up. I used to play 5-6 hours a night (it's huge, and when I first started, you had 10 minute waits for shuttles, and you had to walk everywhere........walking 9000 meters takes a LONG time), now I might log in 3-4 hours a week. Count that one in the overrated category now.

I enjoy F.E.A.R., probably more because I never saw any real ads for it (beyond the occasional one in Maximum PC) so I went into it with no real expectations.

dibene

Obliviot
I so wanted to fall in love with Doom 3, and I came close for about 3 hours.

The hype on how many servers Blizzard was going to run WoW on was overrated. I'm a current player on 5 servers, though my primary is Uther - the one that usually gets nailed to the floor with 300+ users in the queu.

They did release a statement that new equipment would be implemented in the coming patch, thus fixing the lag... We'll see. Seems awfully silly to run 100 servers and not have identical hardware top to bottom (only 10-12 servers have issues).

dibene

Obliviot
Figured I'd add this screen cap I just took:

wow1pr.jpg

:( They simply should have consulted :techgage: Techgage :techgage:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I honestly couldn't imagine playing an MMO that had a damn queue! That's hilarious! I heard about queues happening at times, but I had no idea they were so prevelant.

Drew

E.M.I.
I have to say that i enjoyed Halo 1 too. Many nights i wasted with friends from work playing that on the Xbox and i also enjoy the PC version as well. Great after a hard day to just sign in to multi-player and shoot stuff and blow things up. No better way to un-wind. I will say this thought after the first go-around the single player version losses its appeal pretty quick.

liqnit

E.M.I.
i am not original but i think HL2 and Doom 3 were very very overrated.
they were good games but still not to the hype they made.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
Katamari Damacy. While it was certainly quirky and different, it failed to hold me for any length of time. I give them due credit for a good arcade style experience packaged in a whimsicle, if not utterly insane psuedo-Japanese package, but the core gameplay just didn't involve me in the same a Super Mario RPG or Call of Duty or even Tetris would.

leecho7

Partition Master
I would also have to add Guild Wars to that list.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the PVP parts of the game, but I was just... bored with the game in a matter of hours.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I will agree now that Halo 2 was over rated. Now I dont know if it's just because I loved the first one so much and had pretty lofty expectations but I will defend the first at all times.

With the 360 now, being able to play Halo 2 on XBOX live is incredable! I never got the chance on the first XBOX because I modded it and was unable to get online with it. Now I have rediscovered the beauty that is the world of Halo.

Nothing, that I can imagine, will replace all the nights my roommate and myself would spend playing co-op Halo. House partys with 3-4 TV full of users was amazing as well. We still get togeather and play Halo 2 but to me, it just isnt the same experience.

I am rather selective when buying games so I really haven't had a lemon in a long time. For all it's faults, I didn't exactly hate Doom 3 but on the same note, I certainly didn't love it. It paled so much against Half Life 2 and Far Cry. Both of which are classics in my book.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
lol, in the grand scheme of things FarCry and HL2 were just released. How can they be classic just a moment later? ;)

(btw, howdy DarkSynergy)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You probably wont find Far Cry in the Classic "Gold" "Platinum" hits section anytime soon but I wouldn't count HL2 out. They are however classic to me. I can play both through again because the storys were just that good.

Welcome Blind, so glad you could bring your sence of humor over to Techgage. :p
:techgage:

anibalX

Obliviot
And what about Need for speed most wanted? I'm still playing that game, is veery fun.. and gta san andreas is a very good game :)

=CDU=Above

Obliviot
BF2! The new patch fixed the bunny hopping issue but I just don't care for the game.
HL2 was a very cool single player..just couldn't get in to the multiplayer side of it. If they release a HL2 Team Fortress, I think I'll have to check it out. Played the original for years.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
B2 and HL2 ... overrated? How? I don't go along with the "I just don't care for it" approach. For instance, I can't really get into the quirky style and atmosphere of Katamari Damacy, though that doesn't deny its mass arcade appeal and accessible gameplay (the simplicity of which I must admire).

I always envisioned "overrated" as being something describing the likes of a Boondock Saints, which can be fun and enjoyable and laugh-out-loud funny but is nowhere near the pinnacle of cinema its ardent fans will swear by.

Last edited:

=CDU=Above

Obliviot
I just don't care for BF2. I run a ranked BF2 server as well as two Desert Combat servers with server side mods.
I think BF2 is flawed in many ways. I don't care for the fight dynamics of the aircraft. I think the ranking system was a bad idea and is easily subject to exploitation. The fact that the players are able to jump the height of their own head to escape attack.
Look, I just don't like it. Maybe it's only because I expected a game more like DC. There was much anticipation waiting for the release of BF2 and BF Vietnam and both games missed the boat....in my opinion. But I recognize that there is a good amount of players that like the game so we run a ranked server.
As I said, my hope is that a mod for BF2 will come along and it will be something that liked as much as the DC mod for BF1942. Until that happens.....I'll play DCFX. Oh we run a DCFX server too.

andanton

Obliviot
The most overrated game was Diablo 2. I was waiting 6 months for that game to be released, and when it was, I was extremely disappointed. I would not even classify that game as a RPG. It was an arcade shoot-em-up type game and was not even close to being a RPG.