Linux From Scratch

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
A VM is fine, but just don't expect a super-smooth time when it comes to figuring out the proper kernel modules to use. When I installed Gentoo to both VMware and VirtualBox a couple of months ago, I had to spend a fair bit of time figuring out which kernel modules would work with my faux hardware.

I never used Linux From Scratch before, and it sounds complicated as hell. Looking forward to seeing how you make out.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I tried using a VM for my first time, it's good if your getting the basics down for gentoo, but like Rob said not everything installs right for the kernel. If you use premade like gnome or something that it should be fine. Hope that helps man.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Used to be an ISO for core linux. You compiled the kernel and bootstrapped and all that mess and pretty much had a minimal installation after it was over with.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's a great way to learn, that's for certain. Just expect to run into some major roadblocks. There's a lot of software out there that never wants to compile as cleanly as it should.

Glider

Coastermaker
I tried LFS once... It was like Gentoo with the dependency hell...

LFS isn't hard if you know what you are doing, just make sure you check dependencies... And it is a hell to keep up to date... There is a reason that package managers were invented ;)

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Actually, I'll admit I did LFS once before, and was successful. Foolishly, I didn't backup my toolchain, or the system, and decided on a whim to install ArchLinux or something over it. :eek: I have a bunch of stuff on the go right now. Not sure if I'll get to this or not.