LessLoss Blackbody Interacts with Audio Gear Circuitry for Improved Sound

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The world of audio is a complicated one. You may know that you have a keen sense of hearing, and can pinpoint the most minuscule tones of a song, but if you want to discuss it with a fellow audiophile, there's unlikely to be a simple agreement on things. There's also those who think that they know it all when it comes to audio, but don't. Then of course there's those who love audio, and don't know the first thing about it, and that group includes me. Lastly, there's the group of people who are so mind-bogglingly rich, that they'll buy any piece of audio equipment, because they're told that it's amazing.

When I think of extreme high-end audio, I think of cables that are sold the world over. For most people, a $5 - $100 cable is going to suffice, so it's hard to imagine spending well over $1,000 or more on one. The question that's constantly brought up in a case like this is whether or not there's any type of distinguishable difference between the two. Remember the Pear incident two-years-ago? An organization promised a $1 million prize if anyone could tell the difference between Pear's and regular cables, and when a capable audiophile was found, Pear Cable backed out, for whatever reason.

Although I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of ultra-high-end audio equipment is good for nothing more than for a pat on the back for the owner, I'm sure there's some equipment that's actually not snake oil, and has a real use. When it comes to LessLoss' Blackbody, I'm quick to jump on an assumption that it's little more than a cool-looking door stop, and until we see a credible review of the product, that's how it shall remain.

You see, the Blackbody isn't a speaker, though it looks like one. Rather, it's a device (I'm not sure if it's powered or not, the article doesn't say) that targets the interaction of your audio equipment's circuitry with "ambient electromagnetic phenomena" and modifies its interplay. In short, it effects the circuitry inside your audio equipment, and because of it's particle interaction, it's touted as being able to pass through metal, plastic, wood and other surfaces. Somehow, fiddling with the very properties of the circuitry, the sound in the room improves.

I won't go on, but what I should mention is that the device sells for $959, and it's recommended that you purchase three if you have a proper audio setup and want the best results. You can read a lot more at the site's product page below, but prepare to laugh or cry. It depends on your personality.

blackbody_audio_enhancer_112709.jpg

From the front side of the Blackbody, the coverage angle is 35 degrees going outwards from the middle of the star pattern. The more proximate the Blackbody’s coverage area is to your gear's inner circuitry, the more effective it will be: proximity and angle of coverage should coincide with as much inner circuitry as possible. A quick look inside your gear can help you get an idea of where the circuits are located within your gear. If possible, several Blackbodys should be used in tandem to maximize coverage and effectiveness.

Source: LessLoss Blackbody

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Bernie Madoff didn't get money out of people because of his victims doing their own research for his product. They gave up their money because they did not do *any* research and many just wanted to be one of the "big boys". If they invested then then that would make them one of the big boys ... in the minds of many at least.

I actually read the the article pointed to by the link. The "logic" of the sales pitch uses real concepts presented by credible scientists (Feynman ... please!) and graphics. Then suggests that because of these facts, based in real science that you did not know nor understand, that LessLoss' technology uses similar science to accomplish its claims. The only actual thread to the logic are readers' own lack of knowledge of science and physics.

A side interest of mine is human psychology. (I am trying to learn about better marketing methods :) myself.) There are many studies about human suggestibility ... there are actual scales separating age, gender, education, personality types (nuerotic to extraversion). In other words, there are people that will buy this simply because they think it looks neat, no one else has it, *look* at all of their other products & claims!!!, and last but not the least ... must be good because "if it doesn't work how can they sell it?".

I am not saying that people who make bad investments are stupid or even un-educated. But anyone of us cannot be smart in everything! Another opinion, taken or not, is often useful. Even *I* go to a physician. Although we do have our friendly wrangle's as time permits.

Long lengthy pseudoscience schpeals are also not uncommon with product reviews on the net. I see many reviews with similar pseudoscience thrown in to establish irrelevant points for ... testing a whole variety of thermal compounds for instance. Perhaps techgage could have FAQs or just a few "stickies" at the beginning of each pertinent forum category listing the obvious and perhaps not so obvious questionable devices & marketing claims for products like this? It is not like there isn't ample opportunity? :eek:

The entire LessLoss product line can be critiqued "fact" by misleading "fact" and a few errors :) ... starting with "hand made" $600 power cables?:p:p:p:p for grossly over priced pwer cables. They do serve a function of supplying power.

This device, the Blackbody, also gets :p:p:p:p:p for no function & grossly overpriced paper weights

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Psi* said:
They gave up their money because they did not do *any* research and many just wanted to be one of the "big boys".

When it comes to investing, it pays to do research, and if people are wanting to become rich, then is it so much to ask that a little bit of effort is put forth? I couldn't imagine being prepped to hand over $100,000 or more to some guy I've never even heard of, based on promises. You're right, it's the same thing here, but it seems to me that it would be much easier to investigate where your money's going to go than to earn a science degree to understand if an audio product is snake oil or not.

The amazing thing is that even proven snake oil products are allowed to be sold. Take Airborne, for example. It was proven to be nothing more than sugar pills, or something like that, and the company had to pay millions of dollars in a lawsuit. Yet, it's still available for sale all over the place. The same goes for the ionized bracelets, enlargement pills, et cetera.

I might not be a scientist, but the claims of the Blackbody are just a little too wild to be believed. If months pass and we still don't see this thing reviewed in a respected audiophile magazine, then I think our question is mostly answered.

Psi* said:
starting with "hand made" $600 power cables?

It's too bad they are actually the coolest-looking power cables out there, haha.