Left 4 Dead Redefines What Co-Op Modes Should Be

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It might be a bit hard (read: very hard) to wait for Half-Life 2: Episode Three to surface, but Valve hasn't been slack in delivering updates to their current games to give us something to do. To help make us forget HL2 for a while longer, they just released a brand-new title called Left 4 Dead that furthers their stance on just how important multi-player gaming is.

With L4D, they took things to the next level. While some games offer co-op gameplay as an option, Valve encourages it to such a great degree, that the single-player campaign is highly discouraged by all of the reviews I've seen so far. Ars Technica is one such site to take a look at the game, and overall, "Left 4 Dead was a game that was made with love" just about says it all.

Their review puts the game in a great light, noting that the Source engine still has what it takes to deliver a great-looking experience, the audio looks (or sounds) to be top-rate, and despite the fact that the game is short, the replayability is high, which is something I've read in every review I've taken a look at. Overall, Valve has a winner on their hands, and I only wish I had time to play it now.

left_4_dead_screenshot_111908.jpg

It's surprising that a game that only has five to six hours of content has been made infinitely replayable via the AI that mixes things up. Every time I step into a level I move slowly and cautiously; you never know what you're going to see around the corner. The camraderie that comes with playing with good friends and defending their characters is also a big draw; you'll be recounting the stories of your exploits to bored wives and girlfriends for the next few months.

Source: Ars Technica

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I generally don't have that much time to devote to gaming (especially lately), but if anyone on these forums picks up the game and wants to play, let me know and I'll do what I can to make time. This game just looks too good to be ignored, and I really don't want to play it single-player, haha.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I wasn't to sure about this game, I've not played typical zombie shooters before as they never held much interest beyond the initial game. I ended up getting it though, and boy I'm glad I did. It's a riot, and the versus mode is incredibly crazy when you are with a group of friends that don't bail out first time the game doesn't go their way.

The AI Director concept is not always fair, but I guess that is part of the fun. It's decidedly wicked at times, and makes sure the game is never fully predictable even if you've played the level a dozen times.

One of my two largest critiques was already mentioned... Versus mode only supports two of the four "movies", and two is simply not enough. The other is that there are still bugs in the software, everything from the setup room being unjoinable after a game finale ends, to connection glitches that during the first couple days were extremely detrimental to gameplay. Call me old fashioned, but whatever happened to releasing a game with at least the obvious, major bugs worked out. It's like Valve did all the hard stuff right, but then skipped doing the easy part. It makes the game feel like they did zero multiplayer bugtesting.

It's a great game though, and as Ars says horribly addicting. If I get any free time, it's how I've been unwinding...

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I enjoyed playing L4D, it has the great engine that HL2 has.
The little things become more than subtle, such as shadows, flames and bodies bursting all over you if you are too close.
The game seems to have A I , which makes it a game that you can play several times and it's always different. Shake it up, Valve, you have another hit game.

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm somewhat a fan of horror movies, but not so much a fan of games of the same genre. When I first heard of this game, I thought the premise was foolish, and the name even more so (I still believe that numbers used place of words is immature, though).

I played for the first time on Friday night though, and I have to say I'm impressed. The graphics and audio are top-notch... both do a great job of immersing you into the gameplay. The audio is just incredible. The voices, the atmospheric noises, the sounds of the zombies... just amazing.

The gameplay is the best part though, of course. With a couple of friends, it's an absolute blast. Teamwork isn't just a "feature" either... it's damn required. It definitely gives you a good feeling when you save your buddy from the grasp of a Smoker or Hunter (man, these things are EVIL!).

I agree with Merlin... Valve made another true hit here... and I've only played through one mission! I haven't experienced a real bug yet, but I'm sure I will with time.

Attachments

• left_4_dead_02.jpg
    left_4_dead_02.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 418
  • left_4_dead_03.jpg
    left_4_dead_03.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 430
  • left_4_dead_04.jpg
    left_4_dead_04.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 480
  • left_4_dead_06.jpg
    left_4_dead_06.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 435
  • left_4_dead_07.jpg
    left_4_dead_07.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 434

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, the voice received input isn't nearly loud enough. I still can't hear roughly a 4th of people I played with despite maxing it out. It's mostly the cheap ass mics on their end, but it would still be nice to have a bit more volume control.

Playing the game with sv_cheats enabled and the host giving the AI Director commands can be rather fun if you ever need a change of pace... you can set AI Director panics, or even set it in a repeat panic mode, for endless rushes... Physics engine can be broken easily though, if you stack more than a dozen oxy tanks or propane bottles someplace and set one off. ;)

Set the game to easy and try the endless panic mode, you can actually complete it although you'll always be down to just pistols pretty quick...

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hah, now I know who blew those canisters up!
I claim the fifth, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.... ( ha )
It was wierd that I shot at them on the platform to the left, ( 2 there ), but they didnt explode at that time.
So, I tried again at the radio....OOOPs

Merlin

Last edited:

madstork91

The One, The Only...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NW8tE93Vx8Q&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NW8tE93Vx8Q&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

from the latest at VGcats... be careful who you watch it around, the audio... is um... interesting?