Latest BF3 patch ruin the chopper? I don't think so. My best round ever with it.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Armed with 2 sets of flares and not too much to take it down the chopper has been the crazy killer in the sky for some time now. Its not uncommon for people to go 40 to 60 and 0. The latest patch removed gunner flares and below radar. As well as extending the range of the AA and shoulder fired anti air craft. Chopper whores cried out in horror as they predicted doom.

Well I suck and my best kill streak was 13 until today when I extended it to 14. 2 rounds later one of our best pilots flew his butt off and got me to 46 and 0. If the chopper is so ruined why can a scrub like me with a damn good pilot do decent?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/42698372/1/

I am kicking myself for not having recorded the entire round start to finish. But I did loop record and save some of the kills. Cut em up in order and uploaded it to youtube. Supposedly shooting up with the TV is rather difficult and I can't say I ever made one before. But i did and even the pilot was surprised.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fpimi1nd8iM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Man, helicopter or not, I couldn't imagine finishing a round ever with 0 deaths, haha. Nice work man! And nice work making me think I want to play the game ;-)

Just as an FYI, you're able to "pre-record" with Fraps. I've never actually done it, because I didn't want to add wear to my SSD, but it's a feature I might give a go in the future.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Every one of those kills was on prerecord :p actual sum of everything is 11 minute long and I did upload an uncut copy of those. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmJtlWve1YQ I currently have it set to 2 minutes which lets me forget to record for awhile but I usually have it set to 1 minute so there is less fat to trim later. Just have to remember to long press the record button and tap it again when u want to start saving.

But rarely do I know within 2 minutes I want a whole round. I record my Gun Master rounds in case I win. I record other rounds at random but other than I just dump multi kills and such. I have given some wonder to their methods and or why they dont offer an option to use ram for the loop. I have 16 GB of ram and I record 1080P 60 fps (so i can slow down video better + old versions had less input lag that way) its an average of 4GB per minute. I could easily loop a minute in ram.

I like PlayClaw but the 2.x versions I never had any luck with. Plenty of CPU headroom and my record drive can take it but that app always downed my gpu usage no matter what settings I used and made games unplayable. 3.x has less options as to format/compression but it seems to work much better. My exact situation was described by a few people in their forums and their staff never even commented on the matter. But how I can use FRAPS upwards of 100 fps in 1080P and PlayClaw stutters hard no matter how many threads or level of compression I will never know. Its supposed to be the other way around yeah?

Fraps has always worked for me as long as I record as many or more FPS than I am getting. If i recorded 30 and was getting 45+ fraps always made gameplay difficult. It doesn't seem that way anymore. But id rather record 60 fps while getting 45 to 60 fps. It gives me more frames for slo motion and in the old versions it didn't effect my gameplay. Dxtory offered up a nice concept, you could technically install and record to any codec. I master in H.264 for long term storage of original footage. 28 Mbps for 30 fps footage and 50 Mbps for 60, numbers are slightly forced upon me in Sony MS 12 where as in 11 and in Adobe i had slightly different numbers/could enter exact values.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I assume the game doesn't offer demo recording, a la Source-based games?

I haven't touched PlayClaw much at all once Fraps became a little more stable for what I was doing. Though I do have occasional problems where it'll just stop working (likely due to alt-tabbing) and on rare occasion, I'll go to deal with the video I just recorded and find out the file is corrupt. That's frustrating.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Nah battle-recorder is still not available and it seems as if it might not ever.

With Fraps if you Alt+Tab loop recording stops. Tabbing out while recording might have mixed results. BF3 for example can do more than just tab out to minimized. Being one of those games that can do windowed mode and scale the resolution that is one reason the videos will corrupt.

If I were trying to fix a video I would recommend opening it in VirtualDub and cutting the end off it where the game was tabbed out. VirtualDub tends to handle corrupt or missing ends gracefully, might handle that situation as well depending on what FRAPS codec wrote to the file. I haven't touched vdub since fraps started supporting greater than 4GB per file.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I understand that alt-tabbing will stop the record, but I've had stranger issues. I've stopped recording while in the game, -then- alt-tab, and then find the video corrupt. Also, due to my rampant alt-tabbing, sometimes Fraps just stops working in general, forcing me to restart it.

Will keep VirtualDub in mind for the future. I wish I had thought of that at the time because it was a video I really wanted to keep *slaps head*.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Now that is very odd. Funny story about Fraps not working. In the middle of a recording session for my Only in BF3 submission (I am doing a joke, not actual game play) Fraps stopped working or so it seemed. I stopped the project since we had pretty much done all we could do with only 2 people.

The next day when we went do the 3 person scenes i forgot i had not resolved the issue. Turns out in all of my alt tabbing at some point I clicked the button to erase the key binding for F9 lol.