Last Motherboard question then i should be ready so need ya help peeps!!

newcompass

Obliviot
Last Motherboard question then i should be ready so need ya help peeps!! ;D?
NARROWED IT DOWN TO THESE 2 SO SIMPLE QUESTION WHICH WOULD YOU BUY?
if theres truly something wrong with the 2 please only suggest one withing the price range as am afraid i cant wait forever to afford a £499 one...plus its to much lol thanku xD

Asus 1366 Sabertooth X586400MT/S Motherboard Includes Sound and Lan - £149.60

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/SABERTOOTH_X58/#specifications

OR

Asus P8P67 New B3 Rev Motherboard (P67 chipset ATX, Intel?s 1155 Socket, USB 3.0/Sata 6Gb/s, Dual Lan, Bluetooth & Digi+VRM) -
[ITS ON AMAZON BUT MISTAKENLY ITS NOT A PRO ITS ACTUALLY A EVO BUILD EVEN THO I CANT FIND ANY MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO?] - £133.81

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_EVO/#specifications

ill be having:
8gb corsair ddr3 1600Mhz Ram [2x 4GB Sticks]
1x gtx 460 [Another in the future so needs to be SLI ready board which both of these are]

WHAT CPU's:
If i get the Asus 1366 Sabertooth Motherboard ill most likely get the Intel Core i7 960 for £192.69
If i get the Asus evo 1156 Motherboard ill most likely get the Intel Core i5 2500K for £163.71

so the Asus Evo with CPU will cost - £297.52
AND
the Asus Sabertooth with CPU will be - £342.29

so is the sabertooth worth the extra £44.77

The only upside i can think about the sabertooth
Is that it can run SLI dual channel in both x16 mode
WHERE AS the Evo will run the 2 cards in x8 each mode
nike dunks far as i can see there isnt much difference in the 2 intels CPU's except the i7 960 one having a little bit more of a cache [8Mb Vs 6Mb] yet it says the i5 2500k has better clock speed [3.3Ghz Vs the 3.2Ghz]

So yes a quick recap of my question(s) is which would you choose Sabertooth which is £44.77 more or the Evo And WHY?

thankyou 5/5 *'s For a clear good answer :p doesnt have to be a long answer aslong as it can be a simple clear one xD

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Opinion ... in the next few or several months the next level of m/bs will be coming out. These would be m/bs with PCIe 3.0 which is twice as fast as the current PCIe 2.1. A year ago these were predicted to be available now.

So depending on your patience level, I would wait a little more & save up $ a little more. :rolleyes:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
TBH for the either of those I would recommend the Gigabyte G1.Sniper (1366) G2.Sniper (1155). The G1 on Amazon.co.uk is $309, now the price is more but it comes with a Big Foot NIC, granted not the best feature in the world but IMO if you need mange your traffic with out putting a load on your CPU with other software, this is perfect. The other (more) useful addon is the Creative CA20K2, which gives superior sound over the realtek and if you want great sound with out having to pay for a 3rd party card, this will do it for you, thus keeping things like heat and etc down. These feature are included with both models.

Keep in mind that having PCIE 16x over 8x gives you NO appreciable performance increase, it's less then 1%. There is no reason to lean towards one board over the other based on PCIE alone.

EDIT: That information is based on SLI systems by the way, since you plan to go that route.

I would say go with the Sandy Bridge (SB) CPU and Evo mobo (or the G2.Sniper if you can afford it) because you will get a hell of a lot more speed out of turbo mode then you will the X58 i7, unless you plan to OC the hell out of it, but then you can get more performance out of the SB OC than you can the X58 i7. The other reason I would go SB is because your using the latest CPU socket, you know they are going to continually support that socket in the near future, keeping upgrading in a 2 years a reasonable expectation. The X58 i7 future is not as bright, it's been out for a long while and with the SB recent release, it's only a matter of time before they discontinue that line completely after they get the 22nm out in mass production.

The X58 i7 also uses triple channel memory, if you want to get the most out of it that's the route you want to take, but then you increase your cost for memory. Thus closing that gap between the SB and X58 i7 considerably.

Ultimately, either way you go will make you completely happy, for me the question is what is more future proof and costs the least? That goes to SB hands down, especially with the amount of memory you plan to get. When you factor those things in I think the SB is your best bet Psi*.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
in the next few or several months the next level of m/bs will be coming out. These would be m/bs with PCIe 3.0 which is twice as fast as the current PCIe 2.1.
Too bad there are no cards out there that can saturate the current PCIe bus. :p

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Go with P67. You would be a fool not to. Reasons being, the 2500k ought to OC to 4.5 without a doubt and possibly even higher. I did 4.8 on my 2600k on air. Triple channel memory is a waste, SB gets better performance on dual than X58 does on triple.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'll keep it simple. Skip X58. No native SATA 6Gbps, more expensive processors / memory is required, and the P67 platform is better all around.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Too bad there are no cards out there that can saturate the current PCIe bus. :p

Sure there are. Fill up some of the 7 PCIe 16x slots in a P6T7 with a few Tesla C2070s, fiber channel NIC, and an Adaptec RAID controller. But saturating PCIe 2 is not the point. GPGPUs as the Tesla are limited by the 16 lanes available. But, don't take it from me & my narrow point of view, I'm sure that some info is available to explain the why for PCIe 3.0

You OC, so admit it, you want more speed also. :rolleyes:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Sure there are. Fill up some of the 7 PCIe 16x slots in a P6T7 with a few Tesla C2070s, fiber channel NIC, and an Adaptec RAID controller. But saturating PCIe 2 is not the point. GPGPUs as the Tesla are limited by the 16 lanes available. But, don't take it from me & my narrow point of view, I'm sure that some info is available to explain the why for PCIe 3.0

You OC, so admit it, you want more speed also. :rolleyes:

If PCIe was a parallel bus like PCI that would be true, but it's not. PCIe is a serial bus, by definition it is "point A to point B". GPU in slot 1 connects directly to the PCIe controller, and nothing else will share those 16 lanes of bandwidth. Just like with SATA ports... an SSD in port 1 won't affect the performance of drives in other SATA ports.

There are no GPUs, gaming or otherwise, that can saturate a PCIe 2.0 16x slot. Its certainly possible to use up every PCIe lane on a motherboard, but as for maxing them out I'm not aware of anything that can saturate a PCIe 2.0 16x slot. Rob will hate me for linking here, but try this article. There are certainly others ;)

PCIe 3.0 is great as it's nice to see the tech moving forward, but nobody will see performance increases from it unless it offers something besides raw bandwidth increases. Current GPUs can't max out 2.0, and even if they could the GPUs are only PCIe 2.0 compliant devices. It'd be like plugging a SATA 3Gbps SSD into a SATA 6Gbps slot, it will still limit itself to SATA 3Gbps speeds as that is the protocol it uses. Now if PCIe 3.0 offered lower latency that might be another story... PCIe 3.0's largest benefit should be for peripherals like add-on controllers that use single PCIe lanes. At 2.0 the Marvell controller only has ~400MB/s to work with, but at 3.0 it would get double that.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
If PCIe was a parallel bus like PCI that would be true, but it's not. PCIe is a serial bus, by definition it is "point A to point B". GPU in slot 1 connects directly to the PCIe controller, and nothing else will share those 16 lanes of bandwidth. Just like with SATA ports... an SSD in port 1 won't affect the performance of drives in other SATA ports.
I don't question the standard, I am skeptical of the implementation.

I cannot demonstrate it here adequately, but the memory controller is a limitation of Intel's multicore chips. The difference between the hexacore & the quad core chips I have is insignificant ... definitely not scaled. In other words, if I where to upgrade the current i7 920 compatible with my P6X58D boards, the fastest quad core would provide equal through put to the 990X.

These system designs are just not up to speed with all of the current tech. I don't know where it will show up, but (in my opinion) I know it will. It is just a question of where.