Lamborghini VX2 initial impressions

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Some of you might recall me taking a look at the Lamborghini VX1 last November. Well, ASUS recently announced their VX2 at the recent CeBit, and I got one in the other day. First off, ASUS did a FAR nicer job on the VX2 than VX1. When I had the VX1 in possession, I didn't once think that is was a poorly thrown together package, but after seeing the VX2, there is no questions as to which one is superior.

Everything is nicer here... the design, leather interior, white leds, custom mouse, widescreen resolution (15.4", 1680x1050), better speakers, built-in webcam and cool subtlety's that have to be seen to be appreciated (the hubcap for a fan on the bottom). Aside from that, the specs are all a lot better this time around. 2.16GHz processor, Go 7700 GPU, 160GB HDD, 2GB DDR2-667, Vista Ultimate.. etc. I am not sure of the SRP of this, but I believe it's a little bit more pricey than the VX1, so I'd expect around $3,000USD. At any rate, here are some pictures.

Attachments

• vx2.jpg
    vx2.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 696
  • vx2_fan.jpg
    vx2_fan.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 664
  • vx2_mousepad.jpg
    vx2_mousepad.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 659
  • vx2_stickers.jpg
    vx2_stickers.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 635
  • vx2_touchpad.jpg
    vx2_touchpad.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 642
  • vx2_whole.jpg
    vx2_whole.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 655

MacMan

Partition Master
Wow.... expensive!

Some of you might recall me taking a look at the Lamborghini VX1 last November. Well, ASUS recently announced their VX2 at the recent CeBit, and I got one in the other day. First off, ASUS did a FAR nicer job on the VX2 than VX1. When I had the VX1 in possession, I didn't once think that is was a poorly thrown together package, but after seeing the VX2, there is no questions as to which one is superior.

Everything is nicer here... the design, leather interior, white leds, custom mouse, widescreen resolution (15.4", 1680x1050), better speakers, built-in webcam and cool subtlety's that have to be seen to be appreciated (the hubcap for a fan on the bottom). Aside from that, the specs are all a lot better this time around. 2.16GHz processor, Go 7700 GPU, 160GB HDD, 2GB DDR2-667, Vista Ultimate.. etc. I am not sure of the SRP of this, but I believe it's a little bit more pricey than the VX1, so I'd expect around $3,000USD. At any rate, here are some pictures.

Wow, now that is an expensive laptop. And I thought Apple was expensive. That said, it sure is a beauty. The leather is very cool.

I always admired the looks of some of the Toshiba and HP laptops, but with out a doubt, this baby beats them in spades.

Expensive, but then again, you get what you pay for and this laptop is, with out having played with it, no doubt, probally worth every penny. Wish I had enough pennies and I would get one.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It -is- expensive, there is no question about that. It's targeting to a specific audience though, particularly those who are fans of Lamborghini. Compared to the VX1, this one is a FAR better value. The first model included a budget video card, while this one here is actually designed for gaming.

For comparison, I also have an ASUS G2 gaming laptop here... it's specs are somewhat similar to the VX2. 2.0GHz CPU, 160GB hard drive, 2GB of ram, X1700 GPU, larger screen (but lower resolution), Vista Home Premium, etc. Each one of these laptops would be similar all around, but the VX2 has the benefit of a higher resolution and faster CPU. The G2 retails for $2,000, though.

If I had to guess, I'd say that $500 of the total price is thanks to the fact that it's a Lamborghini branded laptop, in addition to the great design. ASUS doesn't really half-ass their laptops either... they include a (what looks to be a $100) bag with the VX2, so little things like that add to the value.

Either way, if you are a huge Lambo buff, it's a great laptop to have, especially since the VX2 has wicked specs. I'm just waiting for a BMW M3 inspired laptop and then I'll consider one.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I have loved Lambos since I was a child.... and I'm not skeered to admit it that I took 3 and 4 looks at the price tag... rationalizing the cost!
;)

NICE!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
While it certainly looks incredible, I could think of a dozen other things that I would rather spend my money on. With that said, I am not a huge notebook buff. I have a Dell for work and it's perfectly fine.

I am curious to see how well, or poorly, the 7700 performs in that book.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am far from being a notebook buff as well. Given the odd time I am -required- to use a laptop, having a nice looking one would be nice. That said, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it either.. unless I was a much larger Lamborghini fan. If they had a BMW version, I would be far more interested.