Kingston Launches KC100 Enterprise SSDs; Features 5-Year Warranty

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Just weeks after the launch of Kingston’s first SandForce SF-2281 solid-state drive with the HyperX series, the company is now announcing the launch of its SSDNow KC100 lineup targeted at business and enterprise solutions. KC100 is a 2.5" SSD powered by the latest generation of SandForce's award-winning controllers, and as such KC100 uses a native SATA 3.0 (6Gb/s) connection featuring some impressive performance metrics.

kingston_ssdnow_kc100_091411.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Hmm... you guys agree the 240 GB is priced so it also appeals at some of the consumer market? For a little less than 200 USD you get nearly twice the read/write capabilities of the OCZ Agility 2.

Let's see, Tom's Hardware lists the Agility 2 in their last monthly sweep at roughly 350 USD. That's 1.45 USD/GB. This KC100 is asking 2.7 USD/GB. That's a bit heavy. But at twice the R/W performance, 10,000 more IOPS and 2 more years in the warranty. We all would like prices to go down, for sure. But at the current market prices, doesn't the KC100 240 GB actually make a stand in the consumer market?

... or maybe no so appealing if we consider the Agility 2 is more likely to go down in price?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If you are referring to any 240GB drive in general, I'm not sure I agree the 240GB drives are priced well for the consumer market, but I will say that most SandForce 240GB drives will perform much better than the 120GB counterparts. So I would recommend them if they were within the budget of the consumer.

As for the KC100 drives, the prices are a rather high compared to consumer SandForce drives, almost double in fact. A top-end SF-2281 powered SSD starts at around $1.6 per GB, not counting rebates.

I'm confident enough in the regular drives that I don't feel the price increase is justified, for consumers at least. For corporate buyers that prize endurance, reliability, and data security above all else, it's a relative bargain compared to some other alternatives out there.

marfig

No ROM battery
Hmm... I see your point. It has more to offer in terms of price to businesses than to consumers.